.17 legal for fox?

Browning GTS

Yes the .17HMR is legal for fox, having said that there will be people who say it is not ethical to shoot foxes with a .17hmr. If you are a good enough shot and choose your target well, there will be no problem.

Yes the .17HMR is legal for fox, having said that there will be people who say it is not ethical to shoot foxes with a .17hmr. If you are a good enough shot and choose your target well, there will be no problem.

Not in Durham, you won't get Fox on your cert for a HMR-17. AS the previous post, some forces will/won't,

BJ

I have a 17 hmr and a .22 lr if I had to give one up it would be the .22 since having the 17 hmr I hardly use the .22 its like firing a mortar with the rainbow trajectory the 17 is flat out to 130 yds, as regardsd fox it will drop charlie like a stone with a well placed shot out to a Max of 100yds after that you should out of respect for your quarry use a centre fire, I have a .243 and am truly amazed at the acurracy at 200yds plus its like fliking a switch charlie dont even hear the bang.

going back to your original question my advice would be get the 17 hmr .22 is old technology I have the both calibres :good:

just got a .17hmr and its "BRILLLLLLLIANT" :good: Like TIM said (alright mate) :good: i cant belive how accurate and punchy it is out to about 130 - 150 yrds ;) everyboby goes on about the noise difference over a 22 but a dead bunny or fox dont hear nowt. :good: and i had my first charlie with mine second night out :oops: head shot at 70 yrds dead on the spot. :good:

BOTCH.

if one wanders out in front of you while you are rabbiting then cest la vie!!!! Do you think .22lr owners dont take them out? :good:

So ....................... encouraging someone to break the conditions of a certificate he hasn't yet got ............ and on a public forum. Who's a clever boy then? ;):good::oops:

This .22lr owner takes out foxes but my rimmy is fox legal. My FLO won't give hmr for fox and, to be honest, I wouldn't be sure of a clean kill with a 17 grain bullet at any distance other than spitting. And a .22 rimmy will do that for me.

Like already said, some will give hmr for fox and others wont. When you get your ticket don't do anything it doesn't say you can do. It's hard to get and oh so easy to lose.

So ....................... encouraging someone to break the conditions of a certificate he hasn't yet got ............ and on a public forum. Who's a clever boy then? :good::good::good:

If he hasnt got it how do you know what conditions are going to be on it clever ****?

The govt. actually recommends the calibre for foxes......its not law!!! And as you have stated.....a.22lr is more than capable of taking down foxes out to 50 yards, even with subs!!!

How do you become "fox legal"?

"This .22lr owner takes out foxes but my rimmy is fox legal. My FLO won't give hmr for fox and, to be honest, I wouldn't be sure of a clean kill with a 17 grain bullet at any distance other than spitting. And a .22 rimmy will do that for me."

So your FLO won't give you an hmr for fox, but has given you a condition on your FAC that says you can use a 22RF, a lower powered gun, for fox??? Yeah, right.

So ....................... encouraging someone to break the conditions of a certificate he hasn't yet got ............ and on a public forum. Who's a clever boy then? :good::good::good:

If he hasnt got it how do you know what conditions are going to be on it clever ****? Nor do you

The govt. actually recommends the calibre for foxes......its not law!!! Since when have the Govt been involved?

How do you become "fox legal"? By your firearms dept putting the condition on your ticket. I.e. The .22rf Ruger semi automatic rifle and .22rf moderator shall be used for the shooting of vermin and fox over land which the certificate holder has authority to shoot.

Interestingly Mrs dave has two rimmys and neither have fox on as a condition.

Edited by DaveK

"This .22lr owner takes out foxes but my rimmy is fox legal. My FLO won't give hmr for fox and, to be honest, I wouldn't be sure of a clean kill with a 17 grain bullet at any distance other than spitting. And a .22 rimmy will do that for me."

So your FLO won't give you an hmr for fox, but has given you a condition on your FAC that says you can use a 22RF, a lower powered gun, for fox??? Yeah, right.

Yeah Right !!!!! What's your point? :good: :good:

Since when have the Govt been involved?

It is a home office recommendation rather than law...........

The home office is run by civil servants not the government. The only relationship is that govt ministers figurehead it to be scapegoats for the civil service cock ups.

As far as law is concerned, firearms legislation is by Act of Parliament. That makes it law.

Anyway this is hijacking someones thread so if you want to argue symantics we can take it elsewhere.

Edited by DaveK

You missed my point, the document, who-ever wrote it, "recommends" a minimum calibre, it doesnt state that it is law.

My fac states that i can shoot vermin and land game,...i shot a load of woodies with it tonight for fox bait, does that mean I have broken my conditions?:good: I think not!!!

You missed my point, the document, who-ever wrote it, "recommends" a minimum calibre, it doesnt state that it is law.

My fac states that i can shoot vermin and land game,...i shot a load of woodies with it tonight for fox bait, does that mean I have broken my conditions?:good: I think not!!!

by the sound of it you will be if you shoot a fox.

Like I said, we're hijacking someones discussion here so this is the last I'm replying on this thread. Whats wrong with shooting pigeons with a .22 or .17, assuming they were on the ground? They are winged vermin are they not? So not to breaking conditions but you may have contravened the general license (why did you shoot them?) For fox bait is not legally acceptable.

The document you're referring to by the way is probably "Firearms Law - Guidance to the Police" A guidance document for the interpretation of the Act. Read the Act.

Licensing Managers can interpret the Act how they want, it's so full of holes and ambiguity.