Hand held GPS

ziplex

I have maps, (photocopies that aren't too great), for land I have permission to shoot on and they match up pretty well with Google earth, problem is when i've physically gone to the locations I seem to lose myself :no:, most of the land is straightforward, so no problem, however some of it is a right patchwork and confusing when there. Anyone tried a handheld GPS, can the locations be downloaded from Google earth? etc. I used to use a little basic handheld when I had a boat and the trackback worked fine, and 'goto' once a waypoint logged was spot on, no good if you 'aint sure if you're in the right place to start with though. Any ideas/advice?

Edited by ziplex

GPS co-ords are not always the same as (e.g.) OS co-ordinates, which I assume you want to superimpose the onto? There are web sites you can use to convert them, and hobbyists post free software which you can downlaod you readings into for £ maprs etc.

I know you can get some GPS devices which track your location in 3D which is great for topography, stay away from using the in car ones, they are not as accurate and wont do 3d - look for a handheld one from a moutnaineering suppliers?

As you had one for a boat you probably know this already.!

Try here for some ideas :

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/...ices/index.html

Edited by cubix

Thanks for the reply, looking at the web site you suggest, perhaps a fresh set of maps might well be worth a try, 'least i'll be able to read them a little better. What I was hoping to be able to do was download specific areas from Google earth and then load onto the handheld, overlaid onto the map in situ....seems I might be barking up the wrong tree, if possible it appears more involved than thought. I could always use a basic one again to mark areas, just have to make sure i'm with someone who can read a map in the first place! I hate the thought of being one field too far in with the gun.

Regards.... :no:

car sat navs (tom toms etc) work just as well, stand at the gate/car and go to 'save as favourite', save it as gate/car. You can save as many locations as you like throughout you 'round'. The sat nav will display you (as the arrow) and all of you 'saved favourites' (way points) on the screen, all you need to do is use the sat nav as a compass, it will show the direction you are walking, aim at the 'saved location' and walk towards it until you re-gain your bearings. :no:

Hope this makes sense...

chris

Guest Mr Pieman

Hi

Garmin make a whole range of handheld GPS systems. All are very good, with the higher end models showing you a colour image of a map too. You can set them u[p to use any mapping system currently in the world (OS, Long/Lat etc) and they are very effective. Most have multiple waymark functions, along with way mark memories, goto functions and all have a backtrack system.

I think all the Garmins also allow you to put in your desired location by grid reference, or name if the visible mapping option is used. I still use the 'where am I' function when stalking deer, to record exactly where a beast was shot - it makes my log book look quite swish!!

Now, they don't come cheap - but I have used them all over the world - including in my current location!!! - and think they are excellent!!

If you need any specific details, pm me and we can see what can be sorted :-)

MrP

PS Some also have electronic compasses, which a great for taking bearings etc - depending on what your compass skills are like!

Edited by Mr Pieman

Most people wont go out hunting without one over here, as you can imagine you really need them. I had never used one before i came here but i bought one and it has really come in handy! :lol:

You still need maps and a sense of direction andan i idea of the lay of land though. If you can't use landmarks or contours to guide you then they aren't that much use. You don't want to be checking and on it every 0.5km.

I wouldn't bother using a car sat nav as someone mentioned before.

I use a Magellan Explorist 500 and it's never let me down. :good:

Don't forget that all those cheap deals on Ebay don't include the map software.

Thanks for the replies guys, interesting links and info' there.......since viewing the maps again, (they do resemble something you might see in Goonies), and adding useful information like road names :lol: etc, which were not at all easy to read first time around i'm going to have another pop at it. I'll take the pointer and blame her if we get lost, she can be good at that if she tries. If this plan works i'll get another basic GPS like I had before, I think it was a Garmin Etrex?, and mark a waypoint at each gate/field entrance.