Grading of shotguns

cornishclay

Can someone tell me what the 'grade' of a shotgun actually represents. When looking at shotties for sale I've seen grade 1, grade 5 etc. Is it the higher the grade number the better the gun or vice versa? Is it anything to do with how ornate the gun is in terms of engraving, quality of the wood??

It will normally represent the quality of wood and engraving.

Browning/miroku use the 1/3/5 system (sure others do as well)

Grade 1: Wood is pretty plain, not much figure or character in it and engraving is laser engraved and not very deep.

Grade 3: Wood has some figure, maybe lots, but it is not consistent across the who stock, but certainly a pretty piece of wood in places. the engraving is deeper, normally more interesting/elaborate than the grade 1.

Grade 5: the wood is well figured and very pretty over the whole stock, the engraving is deep and elaborate.

My experience of grades basically has told me, if you look for long enough you will find a nice example of a lower grade gun that suits you. I shoot a grade 3 miroku, but its more a grade 5 over most of the stock. Certainly i wouldnt be willing to pay £500+ for the next grade up.

I think the grading system is a bit hit and miss on wood. My Browning had grade 3 woodwork. I have just changed the stock for a 525 grade 1, which has better woodwork. I have a standard Beretta 682 with better woodwork than grade 3 Miroku / Browning. Not seen much better woodwork on a Beretta.

Obviously engraving is definitely better on higher grades.