dead birds on a magnet - to flap or not to flap

malkiserow

Some of the posts have been interesting on flappers/peckers/magnets.

So if the Magnet is gliding birds about to drop in, do just dead-birds on V spreaders or dead-birds with small flappers attached work best?

I've only used dead birds (other than deeks)

What is your experience?

Malk

I have found the hypaflaps on a rotary or floater very lifelike and effective, but I have also had success with "fixed wing" dead birds on a rotary and floater.

Its all about movement and any movement in a decoy layout is good.

So maybe the rotary movement is enough and is like the glide before landing. So is the flap actually not needed or as some have it a negative movemet because it means the pigeons are not committed? The flapper on the ground is the final stage and seems to enhance committment with the final back thrust flapping which is a different think to flapping on a rotary.

Edited by malkiserow

I honestly don't believe its that "scientific".

Pigeons obviously possess some intelligence and capacity for reasoning, but at distances of up to a mile they see movement, not detail.

Usually they are in range before they start "analysing" the layout.

There are loads of other factors that influence the situation, notably the weather.

I have shot on dull, very windy days, when the dead birds on the floaters have been blown upside down and shell decoys are laying all over the place and still the pigeons came in.

On calm, bright days, one shell decoy on its side can spook them.

HI Cranfield,

I think you are very right and put the thread up to see if someone wants to disprove my thinking that flapping on a magnet is a waste of time.

I wonder if someone will have tried it? It seems posts on Trolls and numbers are more interesting than using pigeon decoy equipment!! :crazy:

Cheers

Malk

Not a big advocate of the Rotary. I have one & use when absolutely required however i agree with Cranfield movement in the pattern is more important.

I tend to put out one floater, one angel, decks on flexible props and one/two flappers on intermediates.

Once birds are shot i then put out on cradles/neck props.

All that said a rotary can bring birds in when nothing else seems to work but imho it shouldn't be relied on as a first option.