rifle barrels

wildfowler.250

Most interesting.

Bob, do remind me that if I ever go to a shooting pub quiz to get you along

:good:

Bob ,

I have a micky- mouse barrel on my .308 , or is it micky or could it be mouse . Have googled micky mouse and it comes up as quality barrel maker .All barrels made from high quality liquorice and gaurenteed for 10.000000 rounds . Can be eaten when shot out . Harnser .

ROFLMFAO <_<

Robert

I guess there is only one way to settle it.

50 rounds per box. We can start at 20K and see how it goes. That's 400 boxes at £10 a box. Wonder if we can get a bulk buy discount. Anyone have room on their ticket for 20,000 HMR rounds?

We can do 10 shot groups to save on measuring time and to get a really statistical difference from group to group. Makes the math easy too.

Now the only problem is what break in procedure and cleaning regime do we take....

Thanks,

Rick

Forget the breaking in and clean every 100 rounds. How about bisley next week we can have a roster.

50 rounds per box. We can start at 20K and see how it goes. That's 400 boxes at £10 a box. Wonder if we can get a bulk buy discount. Anyone have room on their ticket for 20,000 HMR rounds?

We can do 10 shot groups to save on measuring time and to get a really statistical difference from group to group. Makes the math easy too.

Now the only problem is what break in procedure and cleaning regime do we take....

Thanks,

Rick

Forget the breaking in and clean every 100 rounds. How about bisley next week we can have a roster.

Guys...what is bisley? My guess is its a game fair but always thought it was a rifle club :unsure:

Thanks,

Rick

Guys...what is bisley? My guess is its a game fair but always thought it was a rifle club :yp:

http://www.bisley.com/

thanks for the replies :yes:

not much danger of me firing 20000 rounds anytime soon!

looks like I'll need to think up a new reason to get a .22 ;)

How about you can shoot it all day for a fiver and put it away in the safe without cleaning it?

I doubt I've put a patch down the barrel of my CZ more than twice in a season, and it still produces ragged hole groups at fifty yards with eley subs. It even produced a sixty-five yard group of two with stingers that was a centimeter across last week, but I suspect that was a fluke. I'd been sighting it in again after dropping it when I fell into a rabbit warren as the ground gave away and was very annoyed because I couldn't see the holes. I thought I'd missed the target altogether until I walked up and found they were all in the 1 cm black.

sightinginfv4.jpg

Bob ,

I have a micky- mouse barrel on my .308 , or is it micky or could it be mouse . Have googled micky mouse and it comes up as quality barrel maker .All barrels made from high quality liquorice and gaurenteed for 10.000000 rounds . Can be eaten when shot out . Harnser .

Aha, but the Donald Duck barrels were made from Clacton rock, much longer lasting, the only problem with them was that they attracted wasps. Is googling mice legal in Norfolk? I thought that went out with Muffin the Mule? Now that must be true, I read it on yahoo answers....... :yes: just after the bit where it said that the moon is made of cream cheese ???;):lol:

Please be aware that Roger the Rabbit does not always conjour up an image of a joyous film aimed at children. A scary lesson learnt - always get a reference before going out with a new shooting partner! ???

That is the charm of a .22 i must say!

The only thing that bothers me is the safety of the caliber!

How do you decide what is a safe shot when the bullet is prone to richochet and could bounce right over your backstop ? :yes:

solve that problem for me and I might just get a variation on my cert. ;)

I completely agree on the ricochet thing. I am at this very moment awaiting a variation so that I can get a 17hmr. There are tons of shots I just can't take for fear that the damned bullet will pass right through, skip off the ground and howl away in an unsafe direction. We will ALWAYS have to stop and think before lining up and firing a shot, whatever caliber, but there is a tonne of energy left in those bullets after they have done the job on Roger Rabbit, and as you well know, it often enough ends up whizzing off into the wild blue yonder after hitting the deck hard and skipping up again.

Fortunately much of my shooting is hill land and empty. I doubt the population density is even 1 person per square kilometer - actually, it is bound to be far less than that, and there is nothing better at stopping a bouncer than an empty fell rising five hundred feet above your line of fire. Shooting down the hill is a no no though, because it often bounces when I do and then it can go as far as it likes. Fortunately for me, when I have done that, the place is empty.

Apologies for the twenty questions here, just trying to get everything clear in my head.

"There are tons of shots I just can't take for fear that the damned bullet will pass right through, skip off the ground and howl away in an unsafe direction."

Whats the difference between the shots you are taking and leaving ? guesisng its the size of the backstop?!

My problem is i've got a fair number of rabbits to shoot and the area is fairly flat with the odd dips in the field. theres a few houses around and i tend to stick with my hmr. BUT firing a lot of shots at rabbits with that gun can be expensive ;)

Theres another guy there that uses a .22lr so i guess i should be ok :lol:

one last thing :yes: .... does the variation for a new caliber take just a phone call to the local firearms department or does it take weeks like most things?

Edited by CZ452

Apologies for the twenty questions here, just trying to get everything clear in my head.

"There are tons of shots I just can't take for fear that the damned bullet will pass right through, skip off the ground and howl away in an unsafe direction."

Whats the difference between the shots you are taking and leaving ? guesisng its the size of the backstop?!

My problem is i've got a fair number of rabbits to shoot and the area is fairly flat with the odd dips in the field. theres a few houses around and i tend to stick with my hmr. BUT firing a lot of shots at rabbits with that gun can be expensive :blink:

Theres another guy there that uses a .22lr so i guess i should be ok :hmm:

one last thing :/ .... does the variation for a new caliber take just a phone call to the local firearms department or does it take weeks like most things?

Well on the first point you have about right. If I'm not shooting into the hillside, I'm not happy unless there is a stone wall (the usual field boundary around here) right behind the rabbit. I've had a few long ricochet's when shooting down the hill onto rabbits on ground that I thought would absorb the bullet. Angles less than about 25 degrees to the ground can cause bouncers. Don't take that number as gospel, but what I'm saying is that the shape at the point of impact can make what I thought would be safe, not so safe. If it's wet, these problems are a lot less.

Also, the up and down nature of hilly land can shorten your view and make it hard to know what is over the horizon which can easily be less than a hundred yards so that I'm wondering if there is any stock just out of sight.

On your rolling land - I have just got some roilling land in the Tyne Valley. I've only been around it once so far. There are all kinds of places on it where I wouldn't want a ricochet.

As for the variation: you have to fill in another application minus the part about referees and say what you want and why. I understand it can take a week and maybe two if there are any ussues they want to look into.

stevnjennysrz4.jpg

ninebanksww0.jpg

How far would a ricochet go in this landscape? Pretty far I think.

Edited by Evilv

thanks!! That actually covered everything I needed to know :/

think I'll put in for a variation and get a cz or Brno sometime soon :blink:

The little CZ 425 is a truly gorgeous rifle in my opinion. The trigger has a bit of creep, and that may take a bit of getting used to, but it can be fixed for about £12 with the Brooks kit. I haven't bothered to do it to mine, and to be honest, I doubt it would improve my shooting much. The subsonic round from eley juts go off with a 'ping' - quieter than an air rifle in many cases and certainly quieter than my old silenced TX200 and the Webley and the rabbit drops dead with a 'Thwok' sound just about every time unless I pull the shot. Cost? About 7p a shot for the Eleys and no cleaning needed from one thousand rounds to the next. I squirt a bit of wd40 on it if it's been raining, but in dry weather, the oil tends to collect grit and **** from dust in the wind. Just lately, I have ben lubing the action with powdered graphite which I bought from a locksmith in a sort of puffer dispenser pack with a spout on it. Result? Smooth action and no more collecting of grit and dust. Works really well I think.

I'm kind of keen to get my variation back so I can order the 17hmr. I'm strongly tempted to buy a Henry Varminter Express. I like the lever action style with a tube magazine under the barrel. Had a .22 Magnum once from Winchester in that style a long time ago and that was an awesome bunny exploder. I sold it around 1987 to my immense regret ever since but I needed some cash. Didn't get a great price for it either even though it went with about 250 rounds of RWS top quality jacketed hollow points that cost a fortune as I recall. It wasn't cheap to shoot mind, but it didn't half make the right noise and it had a very convincing effect on the vermin.

cz452yx3.jpg

I know this is a very long outfit, but I like the slightly archaic style. Sometimes I shoot it with the open sights. I kind of like the traditional style of rifle and with the scope and the silencer off, this one is nothing if not traditional in style - less effective mind you, but it makes you feel good, squinting down that 24 inch barrel and putting the bead on a brown smudge 55 yards off. For some reason (age) the target always looks like a smudge these days when viewed with open sights. Drat - I could have shot a mouse with open sights at that distance thirty years ago.

Edited by Evilv

Adding pictures of your rifle just to tempt me is not fair :blink:

Yeah open sights are good fun! my uncle had an old bsa airsporter, (I think) with open sights and it was good fun for shooting the odd pigeon with or for plinking at tin cans and stuff :/

Good luck with your variation! have seen a few pics of the underlever gun you'r looking at and it looks pretty sweet! Roger rabbit wont think the same though!

Yeah - I know Rodger won't like it.

Just got in from a hot shooting day up the Tyne Valley. I only saw four rabbits all afternoon. Three of them are out the back now. I feed them to our urban foxes. They come to my garden every night and get a take away, unless I tie it down for filming like on here - > This was last week.

Fox Cam

That stopped hsi take away games the little devil....