Nightvision rifle scopes

WeihrauchPower

O.K guys the plan is to put together a night hunting out fit mainly for rabbits. The current .223 WSSM does the job fine on the foxes but is too loud and too much on the rabbits.

The idea is to get a .17HMR and fit anightvision rifle scope purely for rabbits.

There are so many different models out there and I'm wondering if any one has used one. I know i'll have to spend a bit but think this new project is a better idea than buying a Sako TRG. I'll get a lot more use out of a HMR.

So, what sorts of reticles do they have?

How do you zero them as most are damaged by bright light?

Will a good one show a large rabbit quite clearly at 100yd with a good illuminator fitted?

Thanks in advance. :/

I have just bought one it's a Gen2 + Ruski Jobby, I must say that I am very impressed with it, to sight up you would be best setting up at 50 yds and having a small light behind your target, put a hole in the centre of your target with a key or pen or what ever and then aim at the light from the hole, it works well.

3 x mag that I have is a bit of an issue but I managed to drop a bunny at 96 yds the other night, but it was a bloody difficult shot (.223) All that I could see was the eye reflecting back.

They will increase your sport but if you can afford it I would suggest that you got a clip on addition, this way you get to keep the magnification of your day time scope and have the benefit of adding the NV as and when you need it! :blink: Two Grand though! :/

Hope that this helps mate.

Edited by Danger Mouse

Thanks dangermouse, i like your idea for zeroing, I guess each time you make a hole a knew dot of light appears and you work from that.

As for the add ons I'm a bit scepticle of them. You could spend £2000 and then it'll only be as good as the optics your running the light through so to make the most of it you'd need some top range optics for the scope as well more ££££.

I tried the Merlin add-on - with various scopes - and did'nt get on with it. I think my eyes are too close together - or my nose is to big. I'm sure there must be some people with necks short and rubbery enough for it to work for them. :blush:

Some very kind and trusting members on the BBS LENT me ("some bloke") various bits of kit just to try it out! I had some very good Blue Peter fiddling sessions before realising that I can do better MOST times with a customised Atom tactical lamp on dim till I'm about to take the shot.

I fooled around with a Digital Ranger for a while too. I see nv as another tool on occasions when other tactics have been over used.

A low powered LED torch directed at a target board would provide a safe amount of usuable light for zeroing.

Thanks dangermouse, i like your idea for zeroing, I guess each time you make a hole a knew dot of light appears and you work from that.

As for the add ons I'm a bit scepticle of them. You could spend £2000 and then it'll only be as good as the optics your running the light through so to make the most of it you'd need some top range optics for the scope as well more ££££.

No, work at the same hole to ensure grouping, then after about 4 shots cover the new holes with tape and start again until your happy! :blush:

No, work at the same hole to ensure grouping, then after about 4 shots cover the new holes with tape and start again until your happy! :blush:

I know what you mean. Cheers mate.

Edited by WeihrauchPower