Left handed 22LR and 17HMR

_Spud_

Hey all,

I am submitting my FAC at the moment I have been looking at the best rifles.

I love the look of the CZ Varmint but they do not seam to do a Left handed edition, the only ones are the American and Delux.

I will not necessarily go for both but I am going to have both put onto the FAC.

The 22 is my favourite at the moment purely on the price of ammo.

Could anyone please recommend a good left handed 22LR and 17HMR new only please.

Thanks all.

I have left handed CZ 452 Americans in both .22LR and .17 HMR. I also have an Anschutz .22LR. The CZs are astonishingly good value, and very accurate with it. The Annie pips the CZ .22 by a fraction on accuracy, but the trade-off is thatit costs double that of a CZ, and the CZ soaks up all the punishment and still looks OK (the Annie's walnut stock does not suit life in a tractor or 4x4 cab).

So buy CZ. Buy the .22 first, as its limited range will force you to hone your fieldcraft. Mine sports a Meopta 7x50 scope, a SAK mod and a Harris bipod, and is good for consistent 100-yard shots. I find Winchester or Eley subsonic ammo performs the best.

Edited by Baldrick

I have left handed CZ 452 Americans in both .22LR and .17 HMR. I also have an Anschutz .22LR. The CZs are astonishingly good value, and very accurate with it. The Annie pips the CZ .22 by a fraction on accuracy, but the trade-off is thatit costs double that of a CZ, and the CZ soaks up all the punishment and still looks OK (the Annie's walnut stock does not suit life in a tractor or 4x4 cab).

So buy CZ. Buy the .22 first, as its limited range will force you to hone your fieldcraft. Mine sports a Meopta 7x50 scope, a SAK mod and a Harris bipod, and is good for consistent 100-yard shots. I find Winchester or Eley subsonic ammo performs the best.

Thanks m8. I do like the CZ based on the price, really good value considering.

The eley ammo is ok for me as I have a friend who works for eley so can get a good discount, I already get a lot of eley misprints at silly low prices.

Thanks

Thanks m8. I do like the CZ based on the price, really good value considering.

The eley ammo is ok for me as I have a friend who works for eley so can get a good discount, I already get a lot of eley misprints at silly low prices.

Thanks

My cz 425 zkm standard, delivers half inch groups with eley subs at 50 - 60 yards in practical, windy conditions where I am often far from ideally comfortable, lying in long grass without a bipod and propping up the rifle on a rolled up gun slip and such like non-ideal circumstances. The rifle and ammo are far better than I am and they really do deliver ragged centimeter and a half holes and all the shots touching one another in dirty rotten conditions.

By the way - I almost never clean the barrel either. Maybe once in five hundred rounds I might drag a patch through the old tube.

Edited by Evilv

I only made the mistake of cleaning my .22LR once, and the change to the POI was quite surprising. Don't bother - it doesn't need it. An HMR is a little different: I boresnake mine when the accuracy begins to fade, which often only happens after about 500 shots.

I only made the mistake of cleaning my .22LR once, and the change to the POI was quite surprising. Don't bother - it doesn't need it. An HMR is a little different: I boresnake mine when the accuracy begins to fade, which often only happens after about 500 shots.

That's quite consoling about the HMR. I just tracked down a brand new Winchester 9417 in Leicestershire and bought it. I was expecting to have to clean out the copper fouling more often than that, so thanks.

Edited by Evilv

Thanks all for the comments.

Could anyone recommend me some decent optics for the .22 and the .17 HMR

I have been looking on the net but it’s amazing how much choice you have.

Recently I think the information available on this site is more valuable and accurate than the local gun shop.

Thanks all.

Spud, at risk of sounding repetitive and a bit evangelical, I'd recommend a Meopta Artemis 7x50 for the .22, as the ladder reticule suits the .22's trajectory perfectly.

You'll want a variable power on the HMR. I use a Burris 3-9x50 on mine, but I am replacing it with either a 4-16x or a 6.5-20x scope (probably a Bushnell 4200 series). I find that 9x magnification is a bit limiting on longer shots.