UK Handgun Petition

If concealed hand guns were to be leagalised, this would mean that all police officers would have to be trained to use pistols / sub machine guns etc (like the states)..... imagen how many millions it would cost to train all those officers...

Police would need target ranges built to train all over the country (more millions).

It will never happen, and i for one would not like to see it happen, their are plenty of people i can think of who i would not like to see with a concealed hand gun, and on this account i would get one too, because if that idiot is going to have one, i will feel like ill need one.

At the moment you can walk into tesco and not worry about the chav's, imagen if you didnt know which one had a gun, i dont walk around worried at the moment thinking like this, but if that law was passed, i think a lot of people would be very tense / paranoid...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This discussion can easily be settled by looking over the homicide figures for countries where people habitually carry fire arms. You can look at civilised places like the United States, or at wild and wacky ones like Brazil, Columbia, Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan. Wherever there is large scale carrying of firearms for protection, there is a massive murder rate. Even the States which is clearly a civil society with a great majority of decent people in it has a murder rate at least five times the European average. That's a a percentage rate which takes account of the fact that the USA has a big population.

In Britain, the number of firearms related murders is down at the level of 59 in 2006 - 7 which is up from the previous year in which 50 people were shot to death.

What more do we need to know? And yes - most of this in gang banger black hooligans, just like in the States, but the level of mayhem is vastly less. Even multiplying that number by 5 which would put us along side the USA in terms of population (the USA has five times the UK population) the number would be under 300 gun related murders.

It may well be that once we open Pandora's box like in the States so that all kinds of intemperate people have handguns, that people feel the need to be armed, but that is just not our situation. Do we have armed criminals? Yes. Is there a highly remote chance that any Brit will end up staring down the barrel of a gun and get shot? Yes - but it is literally less than one in a million, and so small that you are far more likely to be killed by a falling tree branch or get struck by lightening and fried in your boots.

I respect the historical heritage of the States, but anybody with any sense at all knows that unrestricted hand gun ownership and accessibility brings mayhem with it. You don't believe me - then go and talk to the 15000 American families who lose a loved one through gun violence every year.

This petition is not only misguided, it is plain stupid and publicity about it will do nothing to enhance the position of those owning sporting firearms.

Home Office Figures see page 39 -> Homicde in UK

Edited by Evilv

so small that you are far more likely to be killed by a falling tree branch or get struck by lightening and fried in your boots.

How many people are killed by a falling tree branch a year?

And how many are struck by lightening and fried in their boots?

Do the home office have stats on this <_<

so small that you are far more likely to be killed by a falling tree branch or get struck by lightening and fried in your boots.

How many people are killed by a falling tree branch a year?

And how many are struck by lightening and fried in their boots?

Do the home office have stats on this <_<

Currently, about 30-60 people are struck by lightning each year in Britain of whom, on average, three may be killed.

The branch deaths you can look up for yourself.