Firearm Variation Advice.

I need a bit of advice regarding my certificate.

I have an open licence to use my .243 rifle for shooting fox and medium quarry. I recently applied for a .308 for deer stalking, to be used under the supervision of my mate.

My certificate has now been returned stating the same about the 308, ie, can only be used under the supervision of/whilst accompanied by my mate.

The 243 still has the condition of shooting fox and medium quarry, (open ticket) but there is another condition that states that,

'The 243 rifle and moderator, and the 308 rifle and moderator shall be used for shooting deer and for zeroing on ranges, or land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of Police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot'

Does this mean that I can still use the 243 for fox and medium quarry on my 'open ticket' but only for deer on land deemed suitable etc etc?

There is no 'restriction' ( deemed suitable etc) regarding land while using the 308.

Does this mean that once I am 'qualified' to stalk on my own, I can have the condition for using the .243 / .308 for deer lifted?

Your advice and comments would be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by steve_b_wales

this bit.

The 243 rifle and moderator, and the 308 rifle and moderator shall be used for shooting deer and for zeroing on ranges, or land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of Police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot'

says you dont have an open ticket for the 243 or 308.

an open ticket is nothing to do with what you can shoot, best clear all this up with your feo.

The way I see it is that I have an open ticket to use the 243 for fox/medium quarry, but can only use the 243 for deer on land 'approved' by the Chief Officer.

I will try and contact them tomorrow (Monday) and clear it up. Also, when I received my certificate back yesterday, the police forgot to add 308 ammunition on it (despite requesting it on my application form)

UPDATE.

I just phoned the firearm admin department regarding my certifcate variation, and they said that 'they' should have added another condition that my .243 can be used for stalking while with my mate who is supervising me with the .308.

They also apologised for not adding the .308 ammunition on my ticket.

Sent back to them today, promised that I will get it back by Thursday.

UPDATE 2

Had my ticket back and it has two conditions on it for the 243. I can use it on my own for fox, but can only use it for deer if supervised.

Edited by steve_b_wales