9 Month ESS

deeksofdoom

Have started bringing my 9 month old ESS bitch to the pheasant pens on the shoot I beat on to steady her up.

So far I've just been walking here through the pen on the lead at the moment, getting her to sit and watch the birds.

Just wondering what do the rest of ye do for this kind of training? How much of it would ye do and how much is too much or not enough?

Keep it up is what i say. :o

They soon learn to "switch off" when in the pen, but they also get to know when the real work begins.

When I used to be a keeper I always took a young dog to the brooder huts/night shelters/release pens.

When you sit in a 8x8 brooder hut biting birds a dog sat in the corner keeps the chicks within arms reach.

Also when shutting birds away at night a dog proves invaluable, and it's rubbish that the birds get used to the dog.

All of this has never done any harm to any of the spaniels i have trained/owned.

Good luck and lets see a pic.

Here are the pics, just took them while ago.

P8230124.jpg

P8230125.jpg

She was a bit wild when I took her out of the trailer tonight. Didn't want to go near the pen, but that's because she's after hilting the electric fence last week :o .

I've been getting her to sit to flush and I think she's actually getting it. so she's coming on still a lot more work to do.