Wildfowling

Miroku Mike

The season has begun.

There i was up at the most ungodly hour. Making my flask getting my gear loaded, suprisingly awake must have been the anticipation. My spaniel teague was in shock to see me kicking about at 4am, so off we went both as excited as each other. Got ourselves all set up and hid away nicely, then the waiting game.

Then in the darkness those silhouettes appeared. Trying to blow my call to some sort of effect they swung round and landed on the flight pond, I cant lie it made me feel really good. We then had to wait a good while, which was'nt a bad thing as i was watching the most beautifull sunrise. Then as we were letting the morning wash over us a lovely shot came in range, so pleased to say with one and the only shot of the day down it came.

Now it was time for my little fella to do his stuff, the times he had nearly brought me to tears training him lol. Off he went through all the reeds over a dyke now he was on his own, out off my sight behind the reeds, i new i had sent him in the right direction. It always seem to take an eternity when you cant see them, but in true springer style he was back in a flash sodding wet tail as always wagging. There he was, duck dropped at my feet, if my chest had filled anymore with pride id have ripped me bloody shirt.

The following night me and the boy were off again watched a beautifull sunset, took out another plump mallard. He dissapeared into the darkness and returned again, filling me with pride. just when you think it cant get any better it sometimes does. On the way back to the motor i saw my mate and another fella looking for a duck down. My mate came over all dejected, they could not find it and nor could the chaps dog. So feeling somewhat confident with the dog, i said we would go look. My mate said its over there in all that rough somewhere. Off my little fella went again on a totally blind retreive in the pitch black, 30 seconds later here he was duck at my feet. My mate and the other fella and also the lad who was shooting with me were now raving at me at what a fantastic gundog i had and what a good lad he was, Never mind me shirt ripping my hat was pushed off from the swelling of my head with pride.

To top all this off, tonight myself the lovely wife and the kids sat down to a lovely duck curry, which to my delight every one enjoyed.

Sitting there after our tea the thought crossed my mind again, DOES IT GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS :stupid::good:

Good shooting to you all

Mike.

welldone mate know how you feel,i was out thismorning first shot was a hen mallard my springer brought it straight back to my feet,second bird i sent her for was a big old graylag goose by this time it was geting light she marked its fall went straight to it when she got to it,well she tried is all i can say shes just a wee bich n it was a real heavy bird i am still over the moon with my first blood of my season and my dog seams to be as keen as i am.You just can not beat it when it all goes to plan.we finished up 2geese n 2 mallard for three guns. :good: