Hat's off!

smsguitarist

I take my hat off to SMK for their more recent models of the QB78 Deluxe. I just bought one and here's what i think!

Accuracy - Better than i am. After about 20-30 shots it began to settle and then comfortably grouped 20 shots within one inch at 20 yards! I shot around 70-85 shots before the CO2 ran out and only about 5 at the end (a total of around 90 shots) were dropping low on the target.

Power - Out the box i got the shop to chrono it and with milbro TR's (what i'm using until i can afford to try some more) it had an average of 10.73ftlbs. So again not bad for CO2 but will be adjusting that up to 11.5 when confident enough!

Efficiency - Good! Like i said around 80-90 shots total from two CO2 cartridges with all but around 5 being near enough full power.

Handling - Very light, comfortable and well balanced. Cocking was a little stiff at first but soon settled in and is now fairly smooth and easy. Trigger is a little bland but extremely predictable and consistent. No recoil at all and near silent without silencer. I'd imagine with a silencer it really would be whisper quiet.

Finish - Very nice indeed. Can't find a problem on it! Obviously not Marks and Spencers finest wood but definitely very well done.

Overall - 9/10. This rifle could be set a little higher powered i think since the shot count is very high so to sacrifice about 20 shots for higher power would be a great benefit. Also i think the stock could do with an extra screw for securing into place, not because it isn't secure just as a backup for accidents! These things happen. If it was supplied with a 10 shot magazine as well that would top this rifle off very nicely indeed and in my books get it up to a 10/10. A bit of a fiddle getting those tiny little .177 pellets in there!

Yes i said .177 and yes i previously used .22 but i havn't used the .177 in a hunting situation yet so i will comment on that when i can!

Thanks for reading and hope this is interest. Anyone who owns one i hope yours is as good and fun! Any comments messages or questions welcome but im away this week so probably wont get to reply until later in the week.

Cheers,

Lewis

P.S It was £95 for gun, CO2, pellets and sights. Had a scope previously. (A little more expensive than some places but i value my local!)

Edited by smsguitarist

I had one a while ago, It's great for plinking, but I believe there's a serious flaw if your going to try and shoot quarry with it.

This being that after 18 or so shots, you start to loose power from the co2, and it goes of zero.

But because the co2 canisters have to be fully empty before you can open the chamber, your forever firing it off, and making alot of noise. - and the pellets are a pain to place in with a scope on.

but a great little back-yard gun- I'd recommend it.

Thanks for the reply, mine was on zero until the last few shots consistently. My shooting abilities arn't brilliant but they were going through the same one inch hole in the paper for every target i put up. I'm interested to see if this is different in the field as temparature and weather will be different to my back garden!

Thanks,

Lewis

i have one of these in 177 fitted with a T.R.ROBB tunning kit fitted and use it to shoot rabbits on a livery farm where i have permission but cant use shotgun for noise reasons .

it is taking rabbits at 30+ yds with ease fitted with smk silencer and richter 4x40 mildot scope :yes::D