It was blue all over!!!

pigeon controller

At 7.30 friday morning I had the phone call from a farmer informing me that his newly sown rape was blue over with pigeons so making our way out at approx 12.00 we headed to the fields to find three black backed gulls!!!

We drove around for about thirty minutes to find approx fifty birds on an old stubble field and decided to get what we get setting up the rotary and other kit birds started to decoy all round us. we shot for two hours and then it went dead. I decided to drive around to see if I could put some birds up. I met the farmer on my travels and he said there were birds up by his duck ponds so I went to look and disturbed three hundred off a wheat stubble field. We ended the afternoon with a pick up of 78. ( first photo)

100_0647.jpg

Saturday we headed out to where I'd seen the the birds the previous day and set up one hour later we had three birds. So we went in search of the flock ninety miles later we found them on two week old drilling which the rain had washed the red coating off the seed and set up on a flight line on the edge of the field with decoys on the seed and the rotary on the clover next to it. As we shot further into the afternoon we noticed small flocks returning to roost early these were very high shots but when we opened the crops they were rammed with wheat so they were feeding on other fields we had failed to check out but we ended the day with a pick up ninety one birds. The moral being don't go for the first field check the others around. We also had loads of birds with acorns in them also but no RAPE...

Pigeon Controller

100_0648.jpg

Edited by pigeon controller

Sounds like two briiliant days , 1 question what is that over your barrels

D

looks like a camo sock to me. Ordinary 'blued' barrels shine like **** and you'll often scare the birds with gun sparkle just at the crucial moment. My guns (the ones I use for pigeon shooting that aren't camoed) have matt black barrels.