Barrel length and drop

JohnGalway

Hi John,

You will get more bullet drop at range, due to the fact that you'll lose some velocity as you

shorten the barrel.

I think the rule of thumb is 50fps per inch of barrel removed?

I recently chopped my .243 from 26" to 22" and lost on average 90fps when checked over the Chrono,

so I guess the rule of thumb is just that, a rule of thumb. And bullet drop difference was negligable.

I would say that within 250 yards you won't notice any great difference in bullet drop, but

the best way to check is shooting at paper.

Edited by Browning

I suppose to get it bang on John you'd have to chrono the rounds after the cut and do some drop charts but for some guesstimation put your best guess (speed wise, as rick said average of 45fps per inch) into the hornady ballistic calculator on their site and see what kind of drops it gives you

EDIT: I would do this for you but work have banned most firearms and ammo manufacturers sites :yes:

Edited by Vegeta

Hi john,

As I said on the other thread, the data from accurate reloaders suggests about 45 fps on average for a 223. They didn't go from 26" down to 22", but the drop off shouldn't be far enough for all the closer you need an estimate to be at this point. To drop 5", you're looking about 225 fps. Within a range, I'd say you're looking 200-250 fps loss. Hornady claim 3800 fps, and with your 26" barrel you're probably getting it. You'll drop down to 3550 we'll say for comparison's sake.

Shooting 3800, you can shoot +/- 2" out to 280 yards. Same setup at 3550 and you'll be +/- 2" out to 265. For sub 250 yards, I wouldn't worry one lick about chopping off 5".

Thanks,

Rick

You going to thread it for a mod if it gets the chop John?

If its an over the barrel mod (think T8) just make sure after the cut that the mod has enough space to screw on but not hit your stock. :yes:

No huge prob if it did as you could just get a non over the barrel type.

Was thinking of getting this done too recently to my .22lr and .223. Might hold off though as I do like to reach out beyond 400 with the .223 every now and then