Charging

shadowman

I bought a bottle from one of the companies that do reconditioned bottles a few years ago. It said they had a 5 year test, which was correct. Thing was, the test had been done 10 months before I bought it, so check the date on the bottle when you get it, 4 years and 2 months just flies by :lol:

Also, I'm curious to know what other people do with their bottles when the test expires. A couple of people I have talked to have said the full test was expensive, and there was no guarantee the bottle would survive, so it was just money down the drain to take it for a test. One of them had just took the old bottle down the scrappies (after making sure it could not be used again) and bought another.

A couple of people I have talked to have said the full test was expensive, and there was no guarantee the bottle would survive.

No, it is around £20 for a 5 yr test. If it fails, then the tester/dealer may give you the test price off a new cylinder anyway - thats what happened to a diver I know.

Of course, if it fails the test it is scrap - thats what the test is for, just to make sure it is safe, and I know where my mate took his, they drilled a hole into it to make sure it couldnt be used again.

They put them into a water bath, measure the volume with it empty, then fill it, and measure the volume full.If the volume has increased by a certain amount, the bottle fails.There is also a visual test, which will take place before any wet test, they just take off the valve, and see if there is any corrosion inside, as well as any damage/dents on the outside.If the visual test shows faults, it fails without even having a wet test.

Alan.

Ok guys, don’t know if this will benefit anyone but I phone around many Gun shops, Dive centres, Marine shops and Cylinder Manufacturers. Crawford’s was ONE of the cheap quotes I had, Even those ReCon Cylinders are not as cheap as what I can get them for now!. My local dive centre… My mum is a manager of a cash and carry, the owner of the Dive shop shops there often. Blah blah Blah…. I get a good price,

£100 for a 12ltr 232 bar NEW and £100 for a 7ltr 300 bar also new, Airgun charging kits are to order at £30 (many gun shops sell these at £40 – 45). Anyone like to know more, PM me or whatever!!! :lol:

Shad

http://www.test-your-diving-cylinders.co.uk/

a new idea?

Seen it in Gun Mart. Very interesting article.

But £20-25 + any extras to test a cylinder which you may not get back if it fails can seem a lot. I know you would not want it back if it did fail, the point was that since re-conditioned cylinders can be bought for £50-60 for the smaller ones, why bother testing it?

And you also need to remember that not everyone has convenient testing or charging facilities. I used to have to travel 20 miles to the nearest one to me and was made to feel as welcome as herpes, since I was not a diver. Strange attitude really, as a, money is money and b, airgunners never bring an empty tank in to fill so it's less work for the same money.

My local is more interested in the fishing stuff, friendly enough if you ask but as far as diving bottles go forget it. There was a guy who bought his own compressor as he was really into paintball that was local for me, but I tend to stick with rimfires now.

Apart from him it was a 20 mile hike!