Advice please

Watto

for shooting birds and rabbits etc.. ..... can only just kill starlings

I hope you realise it is now illegal to kill starlings (and sparrows) as from 1st Jan.They are not classed as a pest any more, as their numbers have declined rapidly over the last 10 years.

Alan.

Knew about sparrows, RSPB were declaring it a hugh victory in the attempt to increase their numbers :lol:

We all know how succesfull those commercial driven sparrow shoots were :D

Their number should soar now those evil shooters arn't allowed to do the dirty on them :lol:

Sod pollution or de-forestation, or even the RSPB's own attempts to increase the population of sparrowhawks, it must the shooters that are causing the sorry plight of the sparrow :sly:

If only we could all be lefty tree huggers, the world would be a better place :(

(For the record the above is intended as light humour, I would also like to see an increase in our native song birds, I just think the RSPB are barking up the wrong tree :lol: )

Nice one alan I did not know that. Whare did you get that info?

Dave

There was a report in the Independent maybe 2 months ago listing the various bird species that were declining, it said what action was being taken/needed to be taken to keep/increase the present numbers, and amongst them was the report that Sparrows and Starlings would both no longer be classified as pests from 1st Jan 2005, so, in effect, it is now illegal to shoot them.

Here is a link to part of it:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/environme...sp?story=571934

I can see the point with sparrows, why anyone would want to shoot them anyway is beyond me, but I still think the starlings are a pest, and as far as I can see, their numbers are still quite high here in the east mids.

Alan.

I can see the point with sparrows, why anyone would want to shoot them anyway is beyond me,

Alan I agree with you and it has taken the law a long time to catch up with the decline in the sparrow population.

However when I was a lad :D (about the time the old King died) :sly:

we cut our teeth on airgun shooting by shooting sparrows as there were millions of them around. I think it was a practice that was taken for granted and as I said, it has taken the law a long time to catch up.

Go and find yourself an Original or Diana Model 52 if you want a spring gun. I always go for a scope with at least 50mm object lens for the better light gathering properties, may as well get it now as you'll only end up being dissapointed with anything less.

Some other air rifles are OK for plinking but you owe it to your quarry to use a sensible weapon to give you a good chance of clean kills if you plan to go hunting.

I'm currently using a Webley Axsor pre-charged gun for most of my night time rabbit shooting and it's an amazing bit of kit. Much lighter than the bigger springers, no recoil, very quiet and fantastic grouping.