WAITING!!

POW!

Early days for me on this forum , however I did manage a few hours this afternoon with the gun ,

I had been watching the patern from the weekend as Maize harvest was completed ,

The birds were feeding from first light , large groups flighting strait in , Feed and rest in local trees for abot 2 hours ,

Then up and away as if startled , but, as this was a regular patern just how they feed , Then the Crows arive noisy as ever , again feedind and resting ,

around mid day pigeon arive back in small groups 5/6 but feeding tight to a leaward hedge . A few Canadas start to show mid afternoon , making the most of the spilt grains ,

the pigeon disperse to local roost woods to settle for the night , I waited 200yds from a small wood took a couple of birds and lpan for a day on Saturday with a couple of friends ,

I know where I wanf to place my hide now , just need to be first on site ,

Looking forward to some fast sport , [ Life is good!!] POW.

Well as they say > the best laid plans of mice and men!!! ,

Woke early [ as you do on these days] a light drizzle , NO wind!! , As the shooting is literaly on my doorstep , I watched for a while , coffee in hand , Fewer birds coming in but some!!

Gather the gear , load the 4x4 , kettle on to make the flask , , Phone goes , be the lads I think , not so, number 2 Daughter on my way down with the baby [ 3 montht old, , " can you lookafter her for an hour while mum n I collect a Buggy .

Had this day planned for weeks , but Family comes first ,> 2 hours later , I set off , Not as many pigeon as in the week but still about 300 , Meet the other lads , who traveled 80 mile , they forgot the Decoys !! So back home for more , only to find Number 1 daughter with the other 2 grandkids [ 6 weeks n 4 year old ,

Well as 4 yr old lad and me are as close as it gets , what can I do ?? So we take the Deeks to the lads , and off exploring other woods to keep the birds in the air ! another phone call , "bring him home his dinner is ready , just as we are having fun and not hungry , a few hours later they are off home and I grab the gun to make the best of whats left .

Mid after noon , the lads have pigeon and Canadas , but its quiet decoy wise , so we decide to split and go to a wood apiece , and wait , Not long before they come in thich n fast , guess what , only one box of cartridge !! in the rush > You get the picture , within half an hour only a few cartridge left , [ and not a lot of birds to show , ] , walk back to the other wood to borrow some more ammo ,

He,s short but gives me half a dozen , 20 mins later both out [ Fewer birds than before , ] not the usual ones I use I say ,to cover my bad shooting!! . Then we are joined bt our other mate he.s gone through 3 boxes bettr result but not great , back to the trucks n load up , now dark , , An enjoyable end to a hectic day ,

Does this ever happen to YOU !!!! or is it just ME !!?? My face is glowing , I am waiting for the woodburner to heat the water in the cottage so I can take a well earned bath ,

I LOVE shooting , BUT I love my Family more!! ... POW!

Family is always first. On old hand gave me this 30 years ago. The birds will always be there but not the kids at 4yrs. Enjoy man.

Yep thats what I thought , besides I could go out tomorrow if I wanted , But other joys call .

I am going Green Laning with a friend to North Wales , Years since I last did this , I look forward to another enjoyable day , POW .