The precise air rifle law?

DesertFox1944

What exactly is the law at the moment concerning the possessin and use of air rifles? I know u need a license but when you have a license can u use air rifles more powerful than 12ft lbs? Such as the s410 fac (32ft lbs). Also can under 18s (im 16) use air rifles legally if they have been purchased by a license holder over 18 or they indeed are a license holder and an over 18 year old has purchased the gun? if so would the over 18 year old also need to be a license holder? Im confused were i stand here and i jus really wnat a good air rifle without having to break the law? is there any hope for me? is there anyway anyone can think of of getting round this emensely constricting law or is it a lost cause?

I would be very grateful if anyone could take the time to explain all the aspects of the law, answer my questions and inform me of anyway i can legally acquire and use an air rifle in NI.

Remember im 16 (just) and live in NI.

Many thanks in advance! :good:

All air rifles are held on an FAC in Northern Ireland

Young Persons Aged 16 to 18 Years Of Age

Under Art. 7(2) of the Firearms (NI) Order 2004 the Chief Constable may grant a firearms certificate to a young person for an airgun, shotgun or .22 rimfire rifle, but only if the firearm is to be used for pest control or the protection of livestock on agricultural land occupied by the young person or on which he works and also resides.

Under Art. 7(3) of the Firearms (NI) Order 2004 the Chief Constable may grant a firearms certificate to a young person for an airgun or shotgun for sporting purposes provided he is under the direct supervision of a person who has attained the age of 21 years and has held a firearm for that type of firearm for at least three years. Such supervision will be for a period of at least 12 months. In practice to enable full supervision of the young shooter, the firearm will require to be held on licence by the supervisor.

The above relate to an airgun, which is capable of discharging a missile having a kinetic discharge energy in excess of 1 Joule (0.737 ft lbs).

This sucks. the law in the mainland is so much better than the law over here? its so strict. its because of all the irresponsible pricks that live in this country who ruin it for somone like me. who is aware of safety procedures and just wants do have a shoot. aaaah angry. this looks pretty hopeless. dont think i can get an air rifle til im 18 and in the shooting club im about to join by which point it will probably be just as easy to get a real gun. sucks!

Edited by DesertFox1944

rite cheers dazza i seen that one on that psni link you left me. what part of county down do you live in and what land do you have permission to shoot on?

cheers to all. thanks for the basc link as well. great help!

I'm from the Ards Peninsula and do most of my shooting around there. If you need any advice give Roger Pollen a ring, BASC NI. He will be more than willing to answer any of your questions.

BASC NI

This sucks. the law in the mainland is so much better than the law over here? its so strict. its because of all the irresponsible pricks that live in this country who ruin it for somone like me. who is aware of safety procedures and just wants do have a shoot. aaaah angry. this looks pretty hopeless. dont think i can get an air rifle til im 18 and in the shooting club im about to join by which point it will probably be just as easy to get a real gun. sucks!

Not quite so young desert fox . At least you can still own a hand gun in ulster . Harnser .

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I just ordered a Cometa 400 in 18 ft/lbs for tking out ferals in and around the farm buildings. For crow, and other flighting creatures on the fields and esturies, I have a Beretta A400 Light Field, for the bunnies I have a 17HMR, and also just ordered a 22-250 for the foxes, gives me a bit more range than the 17hmr :good:

My GF is just applying for her FAC over here n NI, and I've ordered her a Browning Gold in 20g (5 shot gas operated), so just need to get her to finish off sending in the forms, if she doesn't annoy me enough to kick her out that is :blush: