Heating Advice

JDFrain

you might joke mc mate, but a positive pressure room sealed boiler with a faulty or incorrectly seated case seal will kill you dead in rag time mate.... flueing and ventillation isnt rocket science but it doesnt take much to have a fatality.... thats why the regs are in place, each one is usually written AFTER some poor sod has died,so's to prevent it happening again....

gas or oil, products of combustion are lethal..... what type of appliance you have makes a world of difference to your level of safety, open flued appliances with blocked heat ex or flue fault or even inadequate ventillation will make you very poorly, you'd probably wake up dead. a room sealed appliance is much safer providing the case seals are right.....even a missing screw on the wrong type of boiler can be bad news.....

not meaning to rant on or anything but its as serious as gun safety is mate, and given the fact it exposes you kids,wife etc to the risks, its not something you want to take lightly :( ...

I fully appreciate that,

It was a post said in jest.

I very much doubt that the cover on my boiler is meant to be gas tight, it has louvred vents pressed into it. The flue is a balanced one going out through the wall it is serviced every year and is only about 3-4 years old.

Just to say,

The post was posted just make people aware of the risks people take just to try and save a few quid, i totally understand what with the current finacial climate, that people are carrying work out on there own appliances BUT as said it was just to let people know the risks thay are taking, so please once again if you are not qualified leave well alone as these appliances are time bombs waiting to go off if not treated correctly.

Just a little example, a few years back i was called out to service a gas fire, on arriving etc etc I had to condem the fire putting at immediate danger ID. Now going through correct procedures etc the woman got a dodgy bloke in and got the fire up and running again. and guess what the dog in the living room never woke up in the morning due to poisioning.

And as for regulations most people would be very very suprised as to what you can and can not do wether it be in your own property or not. and the effects that other things in the house can have on these appliances. this is why training courses and ACS, CORGI etc are about today, some may see it as a money making racket but its a lot safer place with them.

So listen to the likes of myzeneye and take his advice.

John

I fully appreciate that,

It was a post said in jest.

I very much doubt that the cover on my boiler is meant to be gas tight, it has louvred vents pressed into it. The flue is a balanced one going out through the wall it is serviced every year and is only about 3-4 years old.

youll find behind that "cosmetic" casing you have, there is most probably a combustion chamber, which IS sealed.... these seals are what stop you from waking up dead.

i know you meant it in jest mate, no worries, but if you can appreciate, to the lay man, a louvered vent on a wall is of no consiquence and probably the draft is a nuiscance, so, they block it up etc..... then the combustion ratio gets ******** up as the air in the room becomes "vitiated", if your appliance has the relavent saftey features to deal with this ,great, if not, heavy sooting will quickly block your heat exchanger and the products of combustion will fill the room,,, you'l have the best sleep of your life, but it'll probably be the last one !!!

i know thats not what your saying mate, but you can see by this very common example, how people come unstuck by under estimating the design of a system....

Just to say,

The post was posted just make people aware of the risks people take just to try and save a few quid, i totally understand what with the current finacial climate, that people are carrying work out on there own appliances BUT as said it was just to let people know the risks thay are taking, so please once again if you are not qualified leave well alone as these appliances are time bombs waiting to go off if not treated correctly.

Just a little example, a few years back i was called out to service a gas fire, on arriving etc etc I had to condem the fire putting at immediate danger ID. Now going through correct procedures etc the woman got a dodgy bloke in and got the fire up and running again. and guess what the dog in the living room never woke up in the morning due to poisioning.

And as for regulations most people would be very very suprised as to what you can and can not do wether it be in your own property or not. and the effects that other things in the house can have on these appliances. this is why training courses and ACS, CORGI etc are about today, some may see it as a money making racket but its a lot safer place with them.

So listen to the likes of myzeneye and take his advice.

John

cheers jd. :good: