Brief explanation as to what type?

bootneck

Hi Bootneck,

To sum it up from where I stand:

Springer - Generally a bit cheaper, usually heavier. One shot only before reloading. All springers will recoil to some extent which can affect accuracy. Good ones are very reliable as not much to go wrong. No need to buy other equipment like dive bottles or pumps. Can be a bit loud even with a silencer because of the spring. Good springers to look at: Air Arms tx200 and Pro sport, BSA lightning, Weihrauch HW series among others. Theoben and Weihrauch also make gas ram guns which work like a springer but are a bit nicer to shoot.

PCP - Quiet, lightweight, incredibly accurate, no recoil, multi shot versions available. Downside is that they are more expensive generally, need a pump or air tank to refill with which can be fairly expensive and a bit of a hassle. Good PCPs to look at include Air Arms, BSA, Theoben, Falcon etc.

I have no experience of CO2 hunting rifles but used to have some CO2 pistols and the capsules become quite expensive if you shoot a lot and around here not many shops stock them. There isn't a massive choice of Co2 rifles about.

My advice would be, if you can afford it, go for a PCP. My Falcon FN19 is superb and still faultless after 5 years. :lol:

cheers

SL

Let me add to southernlad's summary.

CO2 are recoilless, relatively easier to charge than PCP's and can be multishot.

Dependent upon the make and price (as always) they are accurate and can be made to shoot at full legal power.

The CO2 capsules are readily available from most gun-shops (or at least they are round here) or certainly online.

There is a lot of debate on the forums on the quality of the cheap Chinese CO2 guns, with entrenched views for and against.

For what it is worth, my twopennorth is that for less than £100 you can get a sound accurate gun that will be perfectly OK for vermin control at the ranges that sub-12ftlb shooters operate at. It will not have the absolute quality of a top PCP, but will, in the main, do the job.

There is a limitation with CO2 in the winter that, as the temperature drops, the CO2 does not expand as quickly as at higher temperatures, so power will drop. This can be countered by warming the rifle

Similarly, the last 6 or so shots from a capsule (whatever the temperature) will be at a significantly lower power.

More expensive PCP's have gauges to tell you what your power is.

Changing capsules is relatively simple and they are a darn sight more portable than an air-tank or a pump.

I have a .22 Chinese CO2 and a .177 PCP both of which I have converted to multishot - both are quiet, light and accurate and do the job well and I am happy with them.

The springers that I have fired recently I have found to be relatively heavy, noisy and the recoil to be a distraction

ANOTHER THING NOT MENTIONED, IS THE PRE CHARGED RIFLE WILL GIVE AT LEAST 100 FULL POWER SHOTS PLUS, SO YOU PROBABLY WILL NOT NEED TO RE CHARGE TILL YOU NEXT GO OUT SHOOTING, AND WONT NEED TO TAKE THE PUMP OR BOTTLE ALONG WITH YOU.

DEPENDENT ON THE TYPE OF SHOOTING YOU PROPOSE TO UNDERTAKE THAT IS..

THE PRE CHARGED RIFLES MOSTLY HAVE A 10 SHOT MAGAZINE SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO KEEP RELOADING.

YOU CAN SEE I PREFER THE PRE CHARGED RIFLES EH?