Soviet SKS

Ozzy Fudd

just looking a bit of advice on these, im going to be using one in latvia in a few weeks, just wanted to see if anyone here has used them before and if theres anything in particular to watch out for?

ive tried to quiz my dad but he gets all nostalgic when i mention it, all i get is how they gave you a nice thump in the shoulder, then he drifts off and starts talking about his .44 smith and wesson and his colt commando... :drool:

so any tips or advice would be appreciated! :D

Going to Latvia on Holiday? I like what you wrote about your father and nostalgia.. That is the reason why i have one.. I met an East German guard in the Fulda gap while stationed in germany in 1984 and he carried an SKS? Why not an AK? I do not know.. I also have an AR-15 and Colt 1911.. That is my nostalgia.. Cheers

Going to Latvia on Holiday? I like what you wrote about your father and nostalgia.. That is the reason why i have one.. I met an East German guard in the Fulda gap while stationed in germany in 1984 and he carried an SKS? Why not an AK? I do not know.. I also have an AR-15 and Colt 1911.. That is my nostalgia.. Cheers

its kinda a holiday; im going for a week to meet the girlfriends family :lol: . her brother hunts all the time, he's got an sks and a couple of shotguns. he said he'll take me hunting wild boar and elk if the weathers ok, if not he'll take me over to the local army training area to the ranges and let me blat away with the sks for an hour or two :lol:

yeah dad was in the para's and then was in the udr here (before it became the royal irish regiment), he had a .44 s+w as a personal protection weapon, when he was on patrol he always carried a slr or a colt commando as he was left handed and hated the sa80 - i just have to mention sa80 and i get a half hour long tirade about how he was on the evaluation team and kept telling them it was ****, etc etc etc... :rolleyes:

I agree with your father on that one.. The day the US Military changed to the Baretta 9mm was when i realized just how damn stupid my Government was.. The Barretta's slide will wear out after 1500 rounds.. I call the 9mm the "**** em off" round as it is so fast and small that it zips right through the perp.. The Government has come about a bit in that they are talking about bringing back the .45 round.. Thank god i say! They are even using the M14 again in .308..

The Barretta's slide will wear out after 1500 rounds..

Huh?!

I was involved in IPSC for many years, and while the M92 wasn't the most durable gun on the line, it certainly would last more than 1500 rounds. Or 15 000 for that matter. The FS was certainly a better gun than the earlier models (the one with the pinky level mag release), but the one thing they didn't like was sand. One of our ranges was next to a "slime dam" (actually a huge kind of mound found on gold mines) and the fine sand coming off that in a strong wind would jam every gun with an open topped slide (M92/96, Taurus, Z88) solid. The thing the gave the most trouble was the trick firing pin- poor design.

FWIW, the worst 9x19mm I ever came across was a Lorcin. Straight blowback, the slide was made from Zamack or a similar monkey metal, the trigger pull was around 15 lbs, and the damn thing jammed every other round. Accuracy was actually OK, but the gun would have been more use as a club.

Strange to think that *** came from the same country that gave the world the 1911-A1.

Let me say that the 1500 hundred number is not correct in all instances and that was from a few of the real early models.. I came from a group that would not accept changing the venerable 1911 with a new, some what, untested Baretta 9mm.. I never have been a big fan of that caliber? The ammo is cheap.. I can pick up 250 rounds of Winchester FMJ for around a $ 100.00..But still, i would put my .380 before the 9mm?