New member in Southwest Scotland

SteveT

Hi, this seems like an excellent site to find shooting contacts! I have recently moved to scotland from South Wales and looking for new shooting pals and oppurtunities. I have a number of shotguns and an air rifle. I have secured a small farm for lampng all year round and pigeons over barley late summer was quite productive. As you guys can probably appreciate, finidng shooting is hard enough, but finding it when you are also new to the area is a lot more of a challenge!!

Plenty of geese moving around the area, i went out to catch the evening flight earier, but was too many people with the same idea down the solway, so thought i would head back, didnt want my dog getting shot at by any trigger happie's as the sun went down! I shoot at westlands myself, occasionally. Very bizarre sporting set up over there i find.

I shot at southwales2000 clay ground regularly for a few years, so i guess i was used to the setup there. Westlands is great for me as it's only down the road. I got my geese shooting through a friend in work, they ave the shooting rights over a patch down on the coast, although, on nights like these you struggle to get on there. I dare say there are better places across the solway, which i hope to find! It has mainly been lamping for me on a local farm, had a good run on the pigeons back in august/september on the barley stubble though.

struggling to find the pigeons now don't know where they have gone I did ok on the stubble too but that was a while ago. There are new owners at westlands so if you think there should be changes to the layout have a word with them they are open to suggestions.

am praying i`ll get up in the morning and it will have blown over but having checked the forecast it looks set to last for a couple of days. am a bit pi##ed off cause id been trying to get a lesson booked for the last month and the only time ive got free is the morn! Anyways I`ll go and see what happems!

Hi Taz, i bet you are busy this time of year with your polecats! Do you get much hunting done with your air rifles here too? i Don't often use my air rifle at the moment, have a theoben fenman. It's mostly shotgun work for me. I have three shotguns, my 3.5inch magnum semi auto, a side by side and an over/under, although, i'm looking to sell my over/under and get a new sie by side.

I think my guns will be staying in the cabinet today, i'll save myself for a spot of lamping one night this week, and perhaps a day on the clays at westlands when i get my new gun this week (part exchanging my over/under for another side by side, if the money is right of course!).

Hi Taz, i bet you are busy this time of year with your polecats! Do you get much hunting done with your air rifles here too? i Don't often use my air rifle at the moment, have a theoben fenman. It's mostly shotgun work for me. I have three shotguns, my 3.5inch magnum semi auto, a side by side and an over/under, although, i'm looking to sell my over/under and get a new sie by side.

it sounds as if your kitted it up for the job yeah its mostly ferreting i do i only use the airguns in the summer

Shame about the clay pigeon shooting Gorden. Them clays would be 100mph in this wind! Hope the weather brightens up for you next week. And taz, yep i am kitted up for the job. You should be out pigeon roost shooting while the trees are bare, excellent fun with the air rifle and shotgun alike.