pup training

darren m

spaniel pup is 15 weeks on sat

i need to channel all that energy :no: , what sort of basics can i do with her at this age , its been 6 years and i,ve totally forgotten where to start

i need guideance :no: , this bitch as got a good pedigree and i want to master her potenial :no: .

what should i be doing now .

thanks all

Start her on an obediance program, have her start retrieving back to you in a closed hallway, and get her playing fetch with a ball.........for me this means until she is tired and is straight fun it is completely different from teaching retrieving.

The obediance program pinned in this section is written for puppies, or look around and find one you like.

NTTF

cheers Dan - i hoped you,d reply .

i really would like her to bring the ball back to me and want to bring it back to me .

tried sitting in the hall legs apart , with tennis ball , she,ll fetch it fine and come back towards me , but then she trys to dash round the side of me and get past , while still holding the ball .

i dont want to snatch it off her , as she already as a good grip on it . should i try and swap her for treats ??.

i didnt know wether to continue play retrieving or not as i remember with the lab you can over kill it ..

she loves carry things around ( constantly ) ie toys and sometimes collects them up in her little den under the coffe table.

previously she was kenneled with her bro's and sis at the breeders house before i got her last weekend .

cheers

Darren,

when she is on her way back to you in the hall.........I would be using an old knotted sock or puppy bumper for this.........pat the floor with your hand between your legs and praise her. If she tries to duck around you scoop her cheast with your arm and redirect her to you. At this time you do not need to make her sit with the retieve in her mouth let her just dance there in front. BUT WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT TAKE THAT RETRIEVE AWAY TO QUICKLY. Let her hold it for upto a minute while you praise her. You can swap the retrieve for a treat but I would not do it for everyone maybe 1 in 5 or 1 in 3 mix it up.

"i didnt know wether to continue play retrieving or not as i remember with the lab you can over kill it .."

I really do not know where this comes from. I train all of my dogs formal retrieving and play retrieving and as the training progresses I mix them up to keep it fun for the dog, and I have to tell you your arm will give out before my dogs will stop chasing a ball or a bumper. Just remember to keep it fun for her and you will be fine.

NTTF

retrieve is good she,ll pick it but not bring it back .

but to be honest i,m really struggling with the plain recall :good: with bumper or not .

she ignores me most of the time when i try and get her attention and wont come to me . just jogs off :good:

i,m doing something wrong , but god knows what :yahoo: , the rest of the time she all over me playing and sits at my feet all night :yahoo: so i know she likes me :yay: .

tried clapping , whistle , squeaky voice :yay: etc . not sure what to try next :yay:

Hi,

put her on a length of washing line and collar to GENTLY pull her back in. The biggest mistake people make with gundogs is to take everything off them when it is retrieved.

I would spend a few weeks get her to come back into you with an item then pick her up whilst she still has the thing in her mouth. Praise her, tickle her under the chin, do everything except take the item from her then let her go again.

Only when she is comfortably coming back to you, holding the item calmly then start to gently get her to give it up by holding on to the item and not pulling at it. When she lets go, praise her quickly then throw the item again so she knows you are not going to end the game and keep her toy.

Only when she is old enough, then put the insistance in. I would say at about 10-11 months.

Ian