Video Editing?

mark_mjs93

hi people i have been going through the posts here on PW and i have clocked on the multiple monitor setups, and i have clocked that maybe one or two of you guys/girls are into video editing... i myself am a bit of an editor as i make my own short films and such, but i was wondering what software you people use to edit videos, im using pinnacle studio ultimate 11 (i hate it, as it has very minimal facilities and i would LOVE adobe after effects, but i just cant afford $999 of software) so what software are you guys using???

I have used pinnacle, the free version and also used Nero, both are very basic but you can do some pretty amazing things with them, my cousin uses Vegas not sure which version, and says it is excellent, not sure on price but a lot cheaper than $999.

Here is a link to one of my video's, not brilliant but passable.

http://www.vimeo.com/1775907

Edited by peck

lovely vid peck nice work here is one of my videos sorry for crappy quality i was in a rush when i filmed it so i didnt set up the camera right so it doesnt look all that great but im making another buisness promotion video for my chiropractors in the half term next week...>>>click<<< i have been told about vegas, and i have thought about using that, but i still do want after effects, and i did a stupid today :good: i accidentally deleted photoshop :yes: and now i cant remember how to get it again god im a dumb*** :yes:

Hi Mark

I've done some editing in my time and know what you mean about Pinnacle.

As with all things you get what you pay for so I would advise not to go for the cheapest as you will find it frustrating. A cheaper package will be lacking in what it can do so you end up buying add ons and end up spending just as much as a better unit in the long run. I use Premier and Premier Pro and find them very easy and logical to use. They will take in most formats for editing so are very flexible. Not only that, they come with a bundle of great ad ons which will last you for years.

Final cut pro is another great edit system and one that is taking over from the industry standard - Avid.

So Premier or FCP would be my recomendation. A tad expensive but once you buy either of them, you will get all you need and won't need to buy another add on for quite some time.

thanks greybeard but its just the fact that i do like things such as final cut and premiere pro but they are hitting $999 thats about £672 so still WELL OUT OF MY PRICE RANGE i would love final cut but 1 im not sure how much it is and 2 i dont have a mac :good: so im stuck pinnacle is all i have i mean it only cost me £69.99 so yes it will be naff, but i am doing some work next week for my chiropractor and i want to make it as good as i can but it just wont be the best i can do if i have to use pinnacle....

Hi Mark

I understand. Your right. Those systems I mentioned are a bit pricy. If you lived closer I could help you out.

The only thing I would suggest is this.

If this video is a professional gig and you are being paid, you are right, you have to do the best you can, especially if it could lead to other things.

I think if I were in this position and there was a chance that it could lead to extra work I think I would hire a system for this one or go to a place where you can sit at an edit system and do the cut. I would take the loss. Call it a loss leader. Your client doesn't need to know any of this as long as he gets a very good product.

You may end up making no money on this but it will build your reputation and that is worth paying for.

One thing is sure though. If you use the pinnacle and you feel that you have made a mess of it due to the lack of software, then you may not hear from him again.

It's a tough one but I would hire a sytem (but plan the edit out in detail before you do)

Good luck

I use Vegas 8 Pro. Very easy, very good, very stable.

If you are planning to upgrade hardware, get at least a Core 2 Quad. Vegas uses all 4 cores when rendering and the speed difference is phenomenal!

were did you get vegas? do you use it in a proffessional manner or just a sort of hobby thing? how much does it cost?:hmm: and is it easy to get to grips with?

Its about £400, I got it as my best friend wanted her Wedding videoed, now other people keep asking me to do theirs as well! I'm planning for a Wedding in April at the moment.

Very easy to learn, I knew nothing when started editing, 120 hours later I had three superb DVDs! You will need DVD Architect too if you plan to make discs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Vegas-Pro-8-P...9438&sr=8-1