Just to say...

Wookie

I was out walking in the"wintery showers" that were about at the weekend and, in between scraping ice out of my eyes, I saw "****-loads" of pigeons feeding on a field of Kale (I think).

Now, I'd seen one of the local farmers out the day before on another field of similar stuff and not seen a thing coming in to his magnet, but this flock was _HUGE_ and only about a mile away from where he was. I really wished I had a gun with me at the time...

Wookie

Hi Wookie, I took a drive around a little east of your location behind BT Saturday and Sunday, went around 6 or 7 farms and saw hundreds mainly in large flocks, not one Farmer to be found to ask for permission :rolleyes: stopped the car for 15-20 min's at a time in several places and I never heard a single shot although with the wind maybe thats not so suprising.

Back out next weekend trying to find those elusive farmers.

Edited by Red 9R

You ought to try heading out to Bealings and Playford.

If you head out on the Playford road (the one that runs parallel to the A1214) every field has a hide on. I know a couple of the farmers vaguely, but you can see the farms from the road.

Failing that, it may be worth a shot asking around Newbourne. With so many market gardeners around, they are bound to want to keep pigeon numbers down

Wookie

Thanks Wookie

I thought about Newbourn but I was not sure if they would like a shooter around with so many large green houses?? as you say could well be worth a try.

I thought about the golf course at Waldringfield, they may let me on with an air rifle when the course is waterlogged??

imho golf courses are often a waste of time, its quite rare that you find one that allows you to come at anything apart from the most antisocial hours, ive had golfcourses give me permision and then phone up durring the very long evenings in early summer when its light untill 11 and tell me that i must come down in the next week and take care of some bunnies as they are over run, i go down there at this awful time of night and see squat, then you must always take clean shots, any runners or unpicked bunnies will not go down well at all.

just some words of advice,

its not all bad if you find a course with a nice pro shooter running it he is often very willing to go out of his way for you, and you get lots of great sport as the bunnies are accustomd to people being within 25 yards

Back in my youth I used to take an HW77 down to the local club and stroll up and down the firebreak "Taking care of business". It went well until a copper told me that I shouldn't really be doing it when I was sitting by the tee to hole four with a rifle in a golf bag.

As for round that area, it's all good. I was planning on going door to door and asking about rights, but since it is winter and I am doing 12-13 hour days now, I just don't have the time.

Dammit. Plus, it was a nightmare getting in this morning and I had a meeting straight away. Now all I need is a coffee shortage to make my day good.

Right, back to work...

Wookie

p.s. if you guys are local, you're welcome to pop over for a beer at pretty much any time.

imho golf courses are often a waste of time, its quite rare that you find one that allows you to come at anything apart from the most antisocial hours, ive had golfcourses give me permision and then phone up durring the very long evenings in early summer when its light untill 11 and tell me that i must come down in the next week and take care of some bunnies as they are over run, i go down there at this awful time of night and see squat, then you must always take clean shots, any runners or unpicked bunnies will not go down well at all.

just some words of advice,

its not all bad if you find a course with a nice pro shooter running it he is often very willing to go out of his way for you, and you get lots of great sport as the bunnies are accustomd to people being within 25 yards

Go at about 2am with your air rifle, I do a couple of golf courses that way and it's deadly !!. Have been out before at 11 and seen one or two but 3 hours later they are often swarming about.

Coffee shortage surly thats grounds for a walk out ;)

Wookie I am at the end of the A14 about 11 miles from you a beer sounds like a good idea to me, I will pm you when I am not at work..

I don't mind the silly hours, apart from when the course is water logged that was the only time I would expect to be let on, after all most clubs have social nights that go on till midnight and it would not do for you to walk past the secretarys wife carrying a few bunnys now would it :D

Edited by Red 9R

Red,

That would put you about Trimley or F'stowe then. I'm just down the road from the Admiral's Head, but I've just had an offer accepted on a house in Huntingdon, so might not be ther much longer!

I think the big problem they had with me shooting was that the fairways are public land, not private and they weren't happy about shooting when members of the public were around with their dogs. Also, it's right close to a main road and the chance of a riccochet was quite high. Still, older and wiser...

Wookie

Yeap I am in sunny Felixstowe

I had a Christmas do in the Admiral's Head a couple of years ago quite a nice pub.

I think I will take you advice and go around Newbourne at the weekend, and then work my way across towards the Red lion there are a few farms that way, if I call in on the golf club on the way past the worst they can do is say NO and I am used to that.

If nothing turns up there will be a couple of clay shoots on on sunday to get my barrels dirty at ;)

Enjoy! I fully intend to be in bed on suday morning reading.

I've just spent an entire morning and about three hours this afternoon fixing a shagged aux drive belt tensioner on my car and I am going to have to make the time up next week... Only an extra hour a day!

Actually, I might go and try my luck on the paddocks... The rabbits have had to long off as it is...

Wookie