Decoys

thinxs

Does it really matter the condition, colour state of your decoys?

Do we need to worry about the wing bars and neck bands standing out?

I ask this because, when out the other day I saw a very experienced shooter with all manner of dead bird decoys. Woodies and feral pigeons of all sorts of colours, and they still drew in the birds.

Do we worry to much?

Does it really matter the condition, colour state of your decoys?

Do we need to worry about the wing bars and neck bands standing out?

I ask this because, when out the other day I saw a very experienced shooter with all manner of dead bird decoys. Woodies and feral pigeons of all sorts of colours, and they still drew in the birds.

Do we worry to much?

if your in the right place it does not really matter but it up to the person and it helps to have the neck and wing bars standing out as that is the main pull for the birds when they see them !

If the white on pigeons was of no importance then we could decoy them with grey shells or crow decoys, it's the movement and flashes of white that attract them down to their brothers on a feed. Why not as a trial paint over the white on your decoys and find out. As has been said, somedays pigeons seem to be Kamikase especially on peas or beans, but most of the time we need all the help we can get.

Gerry

80 odd reads and only 2 replies. Come on lets have some opinions, Please.

As you have said you are a beginner, as such obviously without the benefit of the years of pigeon shooting experience that most of us have, why do you think that decoy manufacturers make them as they do?

Your best tool is observation, we dont set out to shoot ferals, doves etc, our main quarry is Columbus Palumbus the wiley woody, take a good look at him next time and you will see why the neck and wing bars are important.

They act as semaphore signals to the others who see these wing flashes and we hope come diving in to the pattern to join their buddies feeding.

I hope this goes some way to answering your question, but Im sure you are cramming every bit of knowledge you can get by reading the classics on woodpigeon shooting??

Rgds D2D

Thank you for your reply. Yes I am ready up and gathering as much info as I can.

As I said, I saw someone (with many years experiance in shooting and fieldcraft) shooting with all sorts of birds in thier pattern woodies and ferels, some of the ferels were white with brown markings, some grey with no markings. Therefore not able to singal with thier wing bars or neck bars. Hence the question.

Edited by thinxs