Partridge in Hereford?

Carbonrocket

Hello all,

Last week when out sorting out rabbits I came across three quite striking birds.

I have consulted my Birdwatchers guide to Britain and Europe (Peter Hayman and Rob Hume).

The closest I can make them out to be are Red legged Partridges.

Would this be a fair assumption for Herefordshire in fairly open short grass fields at 3 PM on a warm day mid March?

Carbon

haha tjmoore... thats a brilliant description... slightly smaller than a pigeon... makes a SQUAWK SQUAWK sound :blush: i love that description... lol you really made me laugh there mate...

but i live near the beford fenlakes... and i walk my dog down there alot, now the lakes are in closed fields (no gates just fences) and they are'nt fished... some people dont veen know they are there, now one in particular i walk the dog past on a daily basis... and there are some young birds on it, now my geuss is they have been brought up there by the parent birds... but i cant tell what they are... they arent ducks im sure of it... they are a bit big for ducks... and they arent swans as the swans dont bread in the fenlakes and they are a bit big for signits... and arent the right shape for a young swan... they have a high pitched chirp... ill try and get a photo next time i go down... ill take the tripod for steadiness. but i cant get close enough to geuss... when they see me at the fence of the fenlake (about 3-400 yards from them they swim (not quickly just relaxed and sort of like they cant be bothered...) into the reeds and come out again in 5 10 mins... they fly very well.. and they go around the lake full speed if spooked... and back to were they were before taking off before the ripples dissapear... have only started seing them recently... any geusses from the description???...

fast flyers...

high pitched chirp...

dark in colour...

some have light couloured beaks.. when i can get to the nearest point to them (100 or so yards) i saw a few light coloured beaks...

small... the size of a collard dove... but not the same shape....

any geusses....?