help setting up

X LeErOy X

the farmer i shoot for has ask me to shoot a feild where the wheat shoots are just coming up out the soil the pigeon are on it all ready! the problem is the wheat shoots are bang in the middle of the feild and the feild is massive. and i carnt set up where the hedge is because its next to a main road and a footpath .how do i go about setting up a hide in middle and which decoy pattern do you think would be good i have a rotary machine to :oops:

I am surprised the pigeons are interested in wheat shoots, but if there are shoots in the middle of the field, then there should be shoots over the rest of the field, so don't worry too much about the middle.

Assuming the field has four sides, you mention a road and footpath on one side, ares there are hedgerows, or cover on any of the other sides ?

Houses on three sides and a main road on the other side, this sounds like the field from Hell.

You can shoot 50ft from the centre of the main road, does this allow you to set up against the hedgerow ?

Its very difficult to help without knowing the distances, I would not be happy shooting towards the houses, or the main road, unless they were a very, very long way away.

When you say they are feeding on the young wheat ,are you sure the pigeons are not just resting on the field or gritting up . Pigeons will often look as if they are feeding young cereals , but are actually ingesting sharp grit off the field to aid their digestion . They will also just rest on young corn ,particulary on very windy days . They proberbly find it easier to sit on the floor than try and sit in a tree in a gale . When they are in this mood they tend to sit right in the middle of a field away from danger .

Harnser .

An alternative would be to ask the Farmer where he thinks/recommends you should set up.

If I am faced with setting up in the middle of a field with low crops and can't use a straw bale hide, I put my back to the "hazard area" (road, houses , etc) and ensure I have a decent distance to the boundary.

Shoot sitting down and put up a cammo net hide as usual, making sure the back is above your head.

Ensure you are not sillhoutted and this may mean using two nets ( I have one net with almost solid scrim) and keep your hide as low as possible.

Camo face mask/net and gloves.

My decoys would be in two small groups , one either side of the hide facing the wind.

The distance away from the hide would depend on the wind.

Coming from my back, I would have them 20-30 yards out .

Coming from the front I would have them 40-50 yards out.

I would put the rotary between the groups.

I hope for your sake there are some easier fields on your permission. :oops:

• 2 weeks later...