Natural Peckers

Shotgun-Sean

Hi all,

This has proberly been done before but i didnt see it as i have not been on here that long.

A natural pecker without all the batteries and **** to carry, get yourself some decent quality flocked shells and the little plastic stick that comes with them are easily turned into pecking sticks.

Cut the top 2 inches of the stick go to the hardware shop and buy some springs and insert the springs in between the 2 pieces and araldite them in place but dont use to strong a spring otherwise they wont move i use 4 of these in a 12 decoy pattern and it gives just the right amount of movement to the pattern and a lot cheaper and less hassle than electric ones :)

Cheers

Sean

Guest Mr Pieman

SS,

if you buy good quality flock decoys they usually come the the adjustable 'spring' sticks already :) Saves all that bu**ering about with hardware stores and glue!

PP

Edited by Mr Pieman

The flocked shell deeks that my local gun shop sells already has these springs on the sticks. They are great as even in the slightest breeze they cause the shell decoy to rock and pitch. If you watch a woody walking around they have a characteristic 'waddle' that these decoys mimick really well.

The proof is in the pudding and so many times this year I have seen woodies land amongst these shell decoys in an area where they are reportedly starting to shy away from the rotary magnets (I don't have a magnet but another guy who shoots the same farm as me mentioned this to me).

The proof is in the pudding and so many times this year I have seen woodies land amongst these shell decoys in an area where they are reportedly starting to shy away from the rotary magnets (I don't have a magnet but another guy who shoots the same farm as me mentioned this to me).

My Magnet has been useless these last 18 months... I am sure the woodies are getting suspicious, a fact confirmed by a retired game keeper friend of mine who shoots 3 times a week.

I have no confidence in it and have now taken to using a motorised flapper in preference to it. Particularly in areas which are heavily shot.

FM.