pigeon shooting over grass

autolover

can anybody tell me if decoys will work just on a grass field, might sound like a daft question but am new to decoying my permission is on a dairy farm got about 80 acres. the farmer usually grows peas in one field but this year he is leaving as grass, i have found some flight lines and each time i go i tend to bag a couple of birds just wondering if its worth decoying, also would it work with crows as there seems to be a few about.

yeah put a few decoys out

i tried it yesterday i went out with my air rifle

and put a few decoys out to see what happened

and in a hour 4 lant in the pattern which 3 dropped to

the air rifle but there wher at least 15 birds that flew welll with in

range from the hide :good: give it a go mate but try and get under

a flight line at the same time so if they dont decoy you will get a few on the flightline. Ash

If you are shooting over grass land with clover in then you are protecting that crop because farmers like to have clover in their grass crops so you are protecting that + if pigeons are going on to the farm next to yours and are doing damage then you are protecting them crops.

when roost shooting you are not protecting crops but that does not stop you from shooting them because that is one of the best places to shoot them.

Be very careful with this. The General Licence issued allows people to shoot pigeons under certain circumstances. ALL BIRDS ARE PROTECTED BY LAW ( yes, even Pigeons ) and the General licence allows you to shoot Pigeons if they are doing serious damage to crops.............( and there are other reasons)

1) Your farmer has cows!!!!!!!!!! I don't think the Pigeons will cause any problems to them. ( I appreciate cows eat grass!!!)

2) You say your farmer normally grows peas but is leaving the field as grass this year, I doubt this is classed as a crop!!!!!!! he won't sell it or eat it!!!

Might be worth asking others on this site or a phone call to your firearms office. The last thing you want is to be prosecuted for unlawfull shooting of birds!!!

You need to know what you can and can't do. For example, are you on flightline and the birds are affecting the crops of a neighbouring farm and you are protecting them :D

go on the BASC website and read about the General Licence, worth a read when you get a chance and will help you understand what can and can't be done.

Stubble?

Be very careful with this. The General Licence issued allows people to shoot pigeons under certain circumstances. ALL BIRDS ARE PROTECTED BY LAW ( yes, even Pigeons ) and the General licence allows you to shoot Pigeons if they are doing serious damage to crops.............( and there are other reasons)

1) Your farmer has cows!!!!!!!!!! I don't think the Pigeons will cause any problems to them. ( I appreciate cows eat grass!!!)

2) You say your farmer normally grows peas but is leaving the field as grass this year, I doubt this is classed as a crop!!!!!!! he won't sell it or eat it!!!

Might be worth asking others on this site or a phone call to your firearms office. The last thing you want is to be prosecuted for unlawfull shooting of birds!!!

You need to know what you can and can't do. For example, are you on flightline and the birds are affecting the crops of a neighbouring farm and you are protecting them :blush:

go on the BASC website and read about the General Licence, worth a read when you get a chance and will help you understand what can and can't be done.

Any crop grown in relation to agricultural purpose's can be protected including fodder crops such as peas or whole crop wheat both of which are grown for feeding livestock,

Sorry to be so anal but we have enough trouble with anti's to start with before we start trying to reck each others sport