HW97K or AIRARMS S410/S510

Chev

Evening all, you'll have to bear with me as i am a total novice....

I bought a .177 97k a few weeks ago and i absolutly love my gun, i've been up my local shooting ground an put over 1000 pellets through it already, my mates all have different springers but one lad has a .22 Airarms s410 which is an amazing gun, i am putting pellet ontop of pellet at 40yds awesome gun.

Iam currently waiting for permission to shoot on some land and i've been lamping twice now an think am gunna be doin more of that than plinkin, Oh and pigions too

So my question's are.......

1) Is my .177 97k going to be aable to kill a rabbit out rite?

2) Is my 97k going to be to loud at stupid oclock at nite an scare other rabbits off?

3) should i sell mine an invest in an s410/s510?

I just love how quiet an accurate the 410 is an the multishot is such an added bounus (his bolt action reload thing does jam up a bit hense maybe the 510 side leaver)

If there's any other gun you guys could recomend please do

All advice welcome

1) Your gun will kill a rabbit as well as any other 12 ft lb airgun.

2) A moderated pcp will be much quieter but if you are lamping you will probably be covering a large area so a twang from a spring may not be too much of a problem.

3) Its up to you really, If you get a pcp you have to worry about charging and shots per charge, springers are much more simple, my advise would be to stick to your gun for now and consider changing it for a pcp if you have any problems with it. If you are very quick at realoading than that can be nearly as good as a multi - shot.

Toby :D

Hi Chev

I've gone over to the PCP side and although accurate and nearly silent I have rapidly come back to shooting springers again, simply because I'm fed up of the hassle with lugging diving bottles, or using back breaking pumps etc. I'm a diving instructor with Stevenage SAC, but the only bottles I've got that are in service at the present is my twinset 2 x 12 litres and they're bl00dy heavy.

I now use a heavier, rather heavily customised HW80 called a HW2080. I like the recoil, it's not really any more noisey than a PCP and I can shoot as well as many of the PCP users in my club. Especially if challenged to shoot something from a standing point of view without having a rest or bipod.

My PCP is in .22 whilst my springer which I'm far more accurate with is in .177.

I just find that the springer is much more satisfying when you get it right.

In either case both are excellent choices of weapon and you won't be disappointed.

Now how's that for saying "Go for the springer" whilst totally sitting on the fence. :rolleyes:

ATVB

Tufty

Hi u could just save ur pennies up. Use ur springer for now as its more than suited for the job of plinking/hunting. Get some cash together & get ur self a nice little pcp then decide what role u want it to play. Do u want it soley for the lamping role or do u want it for other hunting orientated roles. Then think what caliber is it going 2 be what scope u going 2 mount etc. Both springers & pcps

Have their place & uses u just have 2 decide what.

I cut my teeth on springers for hunting & target shooting then i moved on to pcps if i had my way id have both. How's that for being impartial?.

I have been using a webley exocet for 5 years in .22, almost immediately I put in a ram instead of the spring which made i quieter.

I could hit anything with it and enjoyed it immensley. I recently bought my first PCP which is an AA S410 in .177. I still have the webley but I will never hunt with it again unless it's roost shooting pigeons. 10 shot mag and silent operation are a big factors. Also the fact that even if you get a second chance with the springer, I found that once you have broken the barrel and put a pellet in and then closed it again, it was like waving my arms about. Now I simply slip the bolt back with hardly a movement and take a second or even third shot.

Springers are great but a PCP for me from now on.

T

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyones comments and advice

I come to the conclusion that my 97k is a bloody good rifle and can do everything i want it to do so i went out an bought an s510 as well! :no:

Best of both worlds but my god the 510 is an awesome rifle seriosly impressed

Thanks again guys