Rabbit Drop Boxes

2nd Barrel

I've been waiting to post this topic for a little while now, but wanted to wait until I had the whole photostory. I've posted it all over the place so apologies if you've seen it already

In February of this year I was contaced by Steve, who'd bought a copy of my book, 'Trap Making, Step by Step'. Out of the blue I got an email with these pics attached; clearly Steve had been very busy.

dropbox1.jpg

dropbox2.jpg

ratrun.jpg

Now as you might imagine I was really interested to see where this went. All the designs are tested but this was an opportunity to follow a truely independant field trial of the drop boxes.

Before long the boxes were prepped and ready for installation.

dropbox3.jpg

By mid Feb the boxes had been dug in but remained locked while the rabbits got used to them. Interestingly these have been installed with the tunnels running long the outside of a rabbit fence, not through as they often are.

DSC03315.jpg

DSC03316.jpg

For reasons of access the traps were then left unset until mid March. On the first night of operation they caught 6 rabbits in one trap and 2 in another. Steve then closed them again and baited the area with carrot.

By the 28th of March they'd had another 38, though obviously not having it active all the time.

Photo0021.jpg

Edited by 2nd Barrel

You have huge amounts more success if you ran the trap through the fence, rather than along side it.

The main reason, is that rabiits start to use the trap as a run, and will get used to using the route though to the other side of the fence. You should of ran the trap through, and left it for a few weeks at least, then set it and wait.

Not only does this mean you will catch greater amounts when it is set, as rabbits will take the path they known and love.

Your current set up, will only result in rabbits enterting the trap out of curritoisty, it also means you don't have the waste time baiting the trap.

Using this technique I'm catching 30 odd (2 traps) per set.

Edited by Bleeh

You have huge amounts more success if you ran the trap through the fence, rather than along side it.

I completely agree, this is the first time I've ever seen one set up like this.

There may be some boundary issue or similar which has prevented them using the usual installation method but as I said, it wasn't a project I had a direct hand in.

maybe the rabbit fence hasn't got any holes in which case i'm sure Mr farmers going to be pretty upset at anyone making any even if it is to try and trap rabbits!!

paradoxically, it's easier to control rabbits if you trap the hole that you create, but the rabbits would rather use that one - the premade one, than dig there own - If you don't make your own hole, they'll just make there own.

You shouldn't believe that rabbit fencing will keep the rabbits out, because it won't - it just slows them down for a few months.