The underestimated .410

alexm

For a bit of fun I took my little .410 pump along to an informal clay shoot at our game syndicate and it proved quite popular. There were one or two surprising breaks on some rangier clays so I decided to pattern it on some 1" formica kitchen worktop.

The results are quite impressive considering I only used the smaller 2 1/2" shells with a whopping 12.5g of no.6 shot! :look:

Like most .410's it's choked full. At 10 yards it decimated the work top. I believe the muzzle energy is similar to that of a .357 magnum so I suppose it isn't really that surprising and shows why it is such a useful humane despatch tool!

10 yards entry (ten shots)

410Pattern001.jpg

10 yards exit

410Pattern002.jpg

15 yards (the big hole is where the fibre wad hit)

410Pattern003.jpg

We ran out of objects to pattern on unfortunately. I would like to have seen it at 20yds and 30 yds. I suspect the pattern degenerates quite rapidly after about 20 yards! I'll try that next time! I'll have to try a pattern with the 3" magnums too!

Mossberg M500E .410

410Pattern005.jpg

50 grams vs 12.5 grams

410Pattern006.jpg

Edited by alexm

i started off shooting with a 410 when i was younger and due to the shortish range they have it taught me how to stalk rabbits and read them as well so i knew when to move and when not to now years on i have got a webley and scott in my cabinet that comes out from time to time. i have to say yours is a pretty little gun. :look:

I use the mossy 500 but moderated and it gets the most use out of all my kit.

The 410 definately is under-estimated and is a great rabbit tool for paddocks etc.

Some call it a "girly gun" but its not the size that matters all the time !!

I like the synthetic stock on it, mines wood and seems to have the "distressed" look now after some battles with brambles and barb wire :good:

Itotally agree the .410 is truly under-estimated,i bought my boy one for clays,and ive taken it around the hedgerows,and its a v good rabbiting gun,only problem with them for clays,is when your boy is smoking clays and the rest of us using 12s are missing :good: BB