Clear pigeon

Farma Geddon

I have never used clear pigeon before,but they seem to get good reveiws here.I therefore bought some and got on well with them.

Now after reading the BASC magazines articles on how lead sixes struggle to kill pigeon past 40 yards and knowing they can easily do this,I tested the m at 50 yards with my fowling piece, a Mossberg 835 Ulti mag.Three chokes were used,

Factory full choke,Patternmaster Super choke(this choke has lugs inside and is designed to stop the wad thereby releasing the shot in one lump,alledgedly giving short shot strings) and lastly a Briley super full choke.

Hits are inside the standard 30" circle and shot 50 yards from the muzzle.

Full choke

Briley 695

Patternmaster

If I remember correctly,BASC stated 130 hits to kill a woodie.All these chokes easily achieved this.

I am not urging people to shoot pigeon at this range,just showing that it is perfectly possible to get the cartridge to do it.

I have tested several different cheap makes of lead cartridge and most of them struggle to give these results at forty yards,you get what you pay for.

Incidentally these 32 gram clear pigeon cost me £120 for 1000.Farmageddon

all shot with full choke?

ive never shot full choke in the field, open and improved for me, gives me gaps in my pattern the size of small houses @40 yards

but fixed choke means i cant do anything about this, not that i would anyway

Edited by dunganick

The gun is actually the first designed to shoot the 3.5"mag 12 steel cartridge in the States.Mossberg gave it a true ten bore barrel,it therefore measures .775.I asked Briley for an extra full,so they sent me ,presumably, one for a standard 12 boring and I received a 695.I can't beleive it patterns anything well,but with some materials it is very good.

Dunganick,

I love tight chokes and confetti in the air.Farmageddon