Shotgun license question

JonnyR

All,

So you hve a gun on your license but then it gets written off. Not lent, sold, hired, given or any of the others. So the serial number is no longer in circulation. Do you just cross it out?

Any advice helpful.

Jonny. :hmm:

This is another of those "it depends Upon" type of answers, not enough information here, is it a section 1 firearm? is it a shotgun?, where is it now? is it with a firearms dealer?, the answer depends on most of these questions .

The usual thing is if it is with a firearms dealer and is Surrendered/written off the dealer will inform the relevant licensing authority, local Police, you would not have to do anything, but I have always advised that you inform them as well, most Police Authorities have web sites and you can download a disposal form from them fill it in and send it off.

What you will have to do in your case it to make sure that the main agent/dealer does this and informs your firearms department that the weapon has been written off and disposed of, but as I said before as a" to be sure to be sure rule," you inform the firearms department also, I know of several cases where the disposal notification went astray, send one and keep a dated copy for your own files.

hope this helps.