Rifle Calibre Advice

robmiller

I know this has been covered in several posts but not quite to answer the same question.

I am currently awaiting my FAC, had a call from FAO stating i never put any deer control permissions down so when i applied for a .243 it would be questioned. It would be an option however to go for a .22 centrefire.

In your opinion?! 22-250 or 223? Merits? Typical kill distances and price of ammunition etc would be appreciated! Also a note if anyone has one or the other up for sale!?

Let them question it. Tell them there is a strong possibility of future Deer permissions and that the .243 is perfectly acceptable under the Home Office guidelines as a Foxing calibre. It may be a little on the large side, but it is legal and acceptable as is the 6.5x55 and other sub 6.5mm calibres :blink:

If they give you bother after that then you still have time to back off to a .22CF, but I wouldn't let them have that option easily as you are well within your rights to have what you asked for.

EDIT...They do this all the time even to experienced shooters. You just need to know the rules of the game so you can give a two sided battle!

Edited by njc110381

I've had the exact same thing happen to me, put in for a variation for a 243 for foxes, and was told i did'nt have deer stalking permission, i told the fao i wanted it for foxes, he said they would'nt be happy me having a 243 only for foxes, so i've had to change it to a 22-250, and fao happy with that.

you don't say where you are from, but my local authority gave me a 243 for foxing which i got rid of recently and now i have a 308 stated as fox rifle, overkill i know but at the end of the day dead is dead.

Edited by verminer

Hi

am based in the north east. Newcastle. Northumbria Constabulary.

I am happy to back off to a 22 centre fire. And was thinking along the lines of a .223 or a 22-250? Can you give me any advice as to kill distances with these rifles and price of rounds? I know both are good for foxes.

Thanks

Rob