Out lamping

Luckyshot

Took the 17hmr out for a few hours lamping on Saturday night. Dont normally use the 17 for lamping as its too noisy but decieded for a change I would take it. Got to my permission about 11:00 ish and had a quick shine round a couple of fields to see what was about. There were quite a few out but they were a good distance away, good job I brought the 17 instead of the 22. Was a nice dark night as the moon was behind the hills and the wind was vertually non existant. We didnt do much walking around looking for the rabbits as I wanted to try and take a few longer shots than I normally take with the 22. Most of the shots were between 75-120 yds and none of them proved much of a problem for the 17. I know not the greatest of distances but good for me as I normally stick below the 100 yrd mark whilst lamping as its too hard to find the rabbits at night. Quite a few of these shots were bheart and lung as all of them were free standing dont like using sticks or a bipod (especially when the grass is wet) We managed to get 30 rabbits for a few hours lamping but lost a few in the long grass. Will be going back to using the 22 for lamping as I prefer closer distances in the dark and a nice quiet shot. The nights tally minus the few lost in the grass.

post-12981-1246833554.jpg

This one was the shot of the night 180 yds (rangefinder) freestanding with no rest headshot, what a result. Tried to do it again but no luck so put it down to my luckiest shot ever.

post-12981-1246833795.jpg

All in all a good night out enjoyed by my mate on the lamp and myself. Looking forward to next week to do it all again.