Dove or Pigeon shooting in Argentina

JonnyR

All,

It is my wife's 40th birthday next year and I want to really treat her. I am thinking about a trip to South America as we have never been and it would be rude not to do some shooting whilst we are there. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go, which firms to use etc etc.

ps. Anyone of you who know me - don't tell the wife, its a bl*ody surprise!

thanks,

A mate of mine went to La Portenita Lodge in Cordoba.

Here

He had a great time. He lent me a DVD of his trip that they gave him and it did look good, even to a clay shooter like me :good:

The BBQ's that they had while out shooting looked out of this world :lol:

It's a personal preference thing, but I'd prefer it to be less organised and Americanised. They had "boys" for each shooter (oo-er Mrs) alternately reloading and handing you one of two semi-autos, so you didn't have to do anything other than point and shoot. That would wear a bit thin with me after an hour or so, but each to his own. :lol:

Edited by Chard

I too had the fantasy of a small farmstay with some decent shooting and no production "feel", but have never heard of it. It may exist, and I'd love to know about it.

Cordoba is a huge area, and the standing population of doves is well over 15 million birds. If the government could afford it, they would helicopter spray the roosts and nesting areas as the soybean crop is BIG business for the Argentines, especially during hoof and mouth boycotts of the wonderful beef.

I wouldn't really sweat the "bird boy" stuff, the volume shoting, and the formality. If you pick the right lodge, the outfitters are very sensitive to the wants of the shooter. Over the years I've sent groups who wanted nothing more than killing the new world's record of doves each day, and I've also sent couples or groups of men who wanted to shoot a few boxes of shells and eat a great meal and take a nap, and maybe fish after lunch. The right outfitter can get it all right.

It is truly a great trip, but with your wife you should really spend some time in BA or Mendosa if you have the time.

Pete

I too had the fantasy of a small farmstay with some decent shooting and no production "feel", but have never heard of it. It may exist, and I'd love to know about it.

Cordoba is a huge area, and the standing population of doves is well over 15 million birds. If the government could afford it, they would helicopter spray the roosts and nesting areas as the soybean crop is BIG business for the Argentines, especially during hoof and mouth boycotts of the wonderful beef.

I wouldn't really sweat the "bird boy" stuff, the volume shoting, and the formality. If you pick the right lodge, the outfitters are very sensitive to the wants of the shooter. Over the years I've sent groups who wanted nothing more than killing the new world's record of doves each day, and I've also sent couples or groups of men who wanted to shoot a few boxes of shells and eat a great meal and take a nap, and maybe fish after lunch. The right outfitter can get it all right.

It is truly a great trip, but with your wife you should really spend some time in BA or Mendosa if you have the time.

Pete

plus 1 on what he said, unless your wife is in to eating, drinking, or shooting, send her some where else. five hundred rounds before lunch is not uncommon. 20 bore 1100 seam to be the weapon , bring all the shells that you can, because after the first flat or two the rest have to be bought from local gov. the bird boys are there to pick up birds, and give away a whole pick up load on the way back to the ranch! but if you want one to load your weapon and hand you beer's he will!! the food is fantastic and lodgeing very good. some day I will get to try it have fun Stephen look around some, I just looked at the site and and chuckers and pheasents are not that thick in so america, you want doves, pigeons our ducks

Edited by stephen72

Just to clarify a few points in previous posts.

1. Doves are available in several areas of Argentina, 365 days a year. Cordoba, Entre Rios, Tucoman and a few more.

2. If you want to do the combo shoot, Doves, Ducks and Perdrix, (a largish hen pheasant looking bird shot over pointers after the duck shoot), that hapens from May 1 until August or so. The price is roughly twice that of a pure dove shoot, and the ducks are not found in Cordoba. Entre Rios is a better spot for the combo. 25 ducks a day is the limit.

3. Don't even think about taking your own ammo. The amount you're allowed on an international flight will be shot the first morning, and the outfitters are really selling you the ammo as opposed to the lodging. On a dove shot, the shell bill ALWAYS exceeds the cost of the trip at the lodge.

4. You do not HAVE to shoot 500 rounds before lunch. You are the client, and if you want to shoot 150 before lunch, that is your call. Again, with the right outfitter.

5. No lodge down there to my knowledge messes with 1100's anymore. The better lodges all shoot 391's or Benellis and all have a selection of Beretta and/or Browning O/U's. I love the 1100 by the way.

6. In the context of the trip, don't stumble over dollars to save pennies. The difference in price between the best and who seems the cheapest isn't that much, and the difference in the experience is MAJOR.

7. Most outfitters drive an hour or more to their fields as they have to rotate. Some are 2 hours each way. Fun for the first day, but it gets old fast. The better outfitters often do their shooting 15 -30 minutes from your breakfast table.

Just some more info.

Pete