sausage making, hints and advice please!

hi All.

if you would all spare the time i would be most grateful if i could pick your collective brains.

I have got an electric mincer/ sausage stuffer and am keen to have a dabble at making sausages. I have had a quick look through the posts already on here and am going to have a proper follow up this evening.

I have already successfully made bunny burgers prior to new mincer seasoned with cinnamon,ginger,garlic salt and cayenne pepper with leek and red pepper (10/10 from friends).

with regard to sausages i have a ready supply of rabbits, pigeon, hare and venison. has anyone got experience handling game sausages and can steer me away from some pitfalls? does anyone have favoured websites for ordering seasonings / skins etc?

Any hints tips and advice is much appreciated and will post some pics soon of my first attempts.

many thanks,

Adrian

Simple.

Make sure that you use belly pork. to add a bit of fat into the recipie otherwise they will be dry.

Dont over stuff your skins as they will burst when cooking.

I dont know ratios or weights, as I just add about 2 packs of belly pork to the venison.

Im going to do a smoked venison saussage when I get my next carcase.

I am far from being an expert in this but the two things I would add the good advice above about the pork belly would be -

1. Use natural casings if you can.

2. Don't be tempted to add too many flavours to one batch. In many ways less is more. If you want to experiment then make different batches but don't add 9 different ingredients to one batch or you will end up with a dog's breakfast.

I am now suddenly starving and think I can hear sausages sizzling.

M

Use natural cases, a good rusk, and buy the pre-mixed seasonings. They are perfectly balanced and save you throwing away a batch because you have experimented and got carried away.

I always use belly pork with my sausages, my local butcher sells the belly pork strips cheap as chips.

Buy a good book as well as its not just a case of mince up the meat and ram it into a casing. You can have real problems if you do not adhere to the temperature rules during the sausage prep, especially during warm weather.

Plenty of suppliers on the net for seasoning mixes etc.