Pheasant Advice

pigeon master

Hello fells,

Well I’ve just had my birds delivered and I’m looking for some advice. :yes:

I have gone for 50 ex layers to release into a small wood for some winter shooting, first I just want to comment on their terrible condition, most have no feathers on their backs and some look as though they cannot close their beaks.

Now I have looked into how they are kept and to be honest I’m not happy with their condition, so where I was looking to keep them for a week or so its looks more like a month or two to get them in decent condition.

Questions.

I have provided the normal food and water…Corn, poultry mix, poultry grit, fresh tomatoes and apples to peck at. Also a large dust bath, they love that. :good:

Q ..Is there anything else I need to provide???

Their pen is 10m x 4m and there are about 45 birds in there.

Q…Will this be ok for them as I don’t want to stress them…they’ve have had a bad deal already??

Some birds sneeze sometimes. :good::yes:

Q Is this normal or a sign of illness??

About 50% of the birds have no feathers on their backs.

Q How long will these take to grow as I don’t want to release them until they are in tip top condition. :yes::good:

Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to reply, I just want to make sure they are well kept, I owe them that if I’m shooting them in the future.

The PM

post-1109-1249661444.jpg

it going to take about 8 weeks for them to get new feathers , as for their beaks not closing it is because of the "bits" they had inserted while in the laying pens to stop them feather plucking , after you have had them in a pen for a couple of weeks remove the top of their pen so that they can fly out , but your going to loose some to them wandering , best of luck with them and i personaly think your always better with poults because they stay home better , but see how you go on

Hi they are as you said ex-layers & they will be run down a bit ie hens will be bare backed & cock could be missing tails etc. The sneezing will be worms in there throat just stop all feed & mix 1/3 of there usual amount of feed with panacure in the morning feed. Feed again later or if they finish off your 1st feed with out panacure. Repeat this for a couple days with a panacure mix in there morning feed bucket 1/3 of there usual amount.

they will continue to peck each if they are bored ie small pen not alot of vegetation. i have had layers for eggs and reared poults and feather pecking can be awful some pecked to death..best way to avoid it is to bit them or make the pens larger. Over time there condition will improve..

if one is bleeding the others will peck it to death! beak protectors solve the problem, little plastic blinders that attach trough holes all ready in the beak. plenty of food and water they should recover, chicks are cheaper to feed as full grown birds are pigs. if you see a bird hurt, isolatate it till it recovers or they will kill it, have fun Stephen

morning from the picture they dont look to bad but that just could be a good pic, dont forget they are in moult so will look worse than they really are, all the advice i have read upto now is good advice, i agree with taking the top off the pen and let them fly out the biggest thing is there wings as this stops there kidneys from chilling, as for sneezing its worms flubervet is the way to go or a cheap alternative is panicure sheep wormer NO EXTRAS i would worm through the water mix it as a rate of when the water goes milky but this dose'nt shift hair worm and will not work if other water is availble

need any more advice pm me and i will send you my number

good luck

if one is bleeding the others will peck it to death! beak protectors solve the problem, little plastic blinders that attach trough holes all ready in the beak. plenty of food and water they should recover, chicks are cheaper to feed as full grown birds are pigs. if you see a bird hurt, isolatate it till it recovers or they will kill it, have fun Stephen

The blinders are not for feather pecking they are for laying hens to prevent from eating the eggs you use bits for feather pecking.

He has bought the birds in & they are ex-layers they will be bare backed & can look bad pending the system/conditions they were kept. As i have stated the sneezing is what we call snecking & it is worm in the throat use the panacure in there wheat for morning feed but only give the 1/3 there normal amount. just poor 50ml-100ml in the bucket mix round then trail/spread it out.

To be honest ex-layers can be hit or miss & are best just realeased & not pened up they are mature birds & will fair up well with the fredom just feed the area well you want the & good luck.

If you are worried about there backs get ULTRA VIOLET spray from harbro & recatch up the birds spey them & just let them into the wood or in the pen & it should stop them & help the worse off damaged birds. As said they dont look to bad in your pic for ex-lays from some i have seen :good: