Pop hole heads up

jef

Well apparently the vixens around here are prolonging birth so that their offspring are small enough to fit through the pop holes come pheasant time.

A pen of 75 reduced to 6 on the second night in ;) . Three foxes subsequently caught over the next two days. :|

Our pop hole bars are 90mm (3.5inches) apart and are open from day one (though probably not anymore).

Anyone else had experience with this?? It's obviously never happened to us before B)

James

Well apparently the vixens around here are prolonging birth so that their offspring are small enough to fit through the pop holes come pheasant time.

A pen of 75 reduced to 6 on the second night in ;) . Three foxes subsequently caught over the next two days. :|

Our pop hole bars are 90mm (3.5inches) apart and are open from day one (though probably not anymore).

Anyone else had experience with this?? It's obviously never happened to us before B)

James

Yes!

We had the exact problem last season... the wholes we're about the size of yours and the electric fence was inadequate...

Have a read of - http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...9&hl=gutted

James

3.5 inches is the right size for the gaps and i have never known foxes to get thru' one. Are you sure this was the method of entry?

P

We left the pen as we found it, carcasses and all. I also set a couple of wires at the end of the funnels which is exactly where I got fox number two. So definately getting through the pop hole. When I took the first offender from a wire I tried it through the gaps and fit no problem.

We had a litter of three cubs spotted on a couple of occasions so they are now spoken for and nothing for a week since.

We don't have electric fences......

and don't get me started on buz zards

jef

I'm afraid nothing you do will be 100%. Over the years we have had cubs get in through pop holes and kill dozens of poults. However when once they are dealt with the problem stops. I is obviously the odd litter once in a while that learns how to get in through a pop hole. I do find that an electric wire helps but even with that as I said we occasionally get one through.

As you say don't mention buzzards, if you counted up they take far more than foxes over the course of a year.

As you say don't mention buzzards, if you counted up they take far more than foxes over the course of a year.

No no, they don't kill pheasants. They only eat the dead ones that seem to die first.

Same old story and it's been done to death.

Jef