steadiness training

darren m

guys - i want all your steadiness training tips please

i,m trying different things from throwing dummies all around her etc to feeding the geese and ducks by the river and getting her to sit ( on lead ) with out breaking.

but i could really do with more ideas , anything condsidered :yes: , just so bordem does,nt set in .

thanks

Ive had to steady mine up again, she is 2 1/2 years old and a springer. I use chickens, and the pheasant poults by doggin in to steady her. She is back on a long line as she has got into the habit of chasing them, but touch wood today she has been a star and flushed birds then stopping on the stop whistle afterwards.

Depending on what she/he is being used for, id go try flush some pheasants.

Alex :rolleyes:

darren - walk round the dog, run round the dog, run past the dog, bend down and tie your shoelace next to the dog, make a phonecall, eat an ice cream, cook a curry, have a shower do whatever you do with the dog sat up and not moving - if it moves it ain't steady, exposure to steadiness in as many different situations as possible for varying lengths of time will keep if varied and let the dog know sit/stay means sit/stay until told otherwise, regardless of what me or anyboduy else is doing.

roadkill - stay away from game if the dog's chasing, increased exposure with no properly understood correction will not help. This is one environment, where you know you will encounter game, where a long line may be of benefit to enable you to correct the dog when it breaks. Just be careful that the dog doesn't become wise to the fact it is on/off the line.

Hope that's of some use fellas. :lol:

WDG - we do most of that mate , shes been pretty good so far , but i think shes started to second guess me a little , so any advice helps thanks :lol:

i thought she was quite steady until she broke away from me after a rabbit about a week ago , i have no doubt she heard the stop whistle :lol::lol: , and recall , but only came back after the rabbit had made it to cover , then she skanks back to me and lays 6 feet away and rolls on her back as if to say sorry Dad :no: .

she had ran through another paddock and made me look a tw*t trying to stop her , i admit i just wanted to slap :lol: her but instead praised her for coming back .

and on one other occasion she made off for another dog about 50 yards from me had a quick play and came back - i wish i had an electric collar , i,m sure useing it just a couple of times would sort it , but shes only 10.5 months and i think maybe a bit young for one -- what do you think ..??

anyway thats basicly why i,m looking for ideas

little sod did the same again :yes: yesterday , this time she even looked at me while she was running away to greet another dog about a 100 yards away , as if to say " yep i know but i dont care " then comes back and plays all softy softy rub my belly :good: .

i,m not sure why shes started this :lol: i did think she was coming on fine in that respect. i think i,m going to have to come down hard on her.

i,m also having trouble keeping her in close , shes fine until confidence and distraction takes over , i need to nip this now i know , but the usuall stuff aint work.

gimme some tips please chaps

cheers :lol:

Joe Irving's boog Training Spaniels is really good and has tips on steadiness. I'm sure they could be applied to Labs also, basically anyway.

Again basically the scenario. The dog flushes out game and runs on ignoring your whistle or voice command. Or runs after dog.

J.Irving's tips 1. Be prepared, watch the dog. You stand little chance of stopping it when in full flight. Stop it before it starts chasing.

2. If the dog has run on, go after it without making a fuss. Take it by it's scruff back to the exact spot where it commited the offence and shake by scruff of neck. Sternly saying hup there. over and over, and /or blowing stop whistle in its ear.

I cannot recommend the book highly enough. There must be similar Lab books out there. I'm training my spaniel now nd am going through it also. It's my forst gun dog, fingers crossed so far so good. Not anything like most dogs but I love him to bits. The tip about getting the command in early is vital. Hope i haven't made a fool of myself being so inexperienced.

Darren ,

I have just bought a book as im at about the same stage as you and it has showed me the errors of my ways and will also show you where it has gone wrong and how to put a stop to it pronto with out harsh punishment such as electric collars .

The book is called Gundog Training for the home and field by Paul rawlings.. This book is great and a very good tool to have

Roadkill