Shepherd scopes

ross16689

On the basis that Shepherd has been in business since 1984 and I have never, ever read about Shepherd scopes, seen one in action or heard about them in all the years I have been shooting, I would offer the opinion that they must be either i) superb technology, kept hidden from the buying public or ii) utter cack, unpopular for a reason and verging on obsolescence. I would surmise it's the latter.

What is the point in a one-shot zero system? OK, my Zeiss Victory took three shots to zero (not really a laborious task), but it hasn't shifted zero since in 4 years. I therefore have no further interest in the speed at which it can be zeroed.

Anyone curious should have a look here: http://www.shepherdscopes.com/oneshot.asp

"When the remaining deer move off, they may well be still within range for the stalkers, enabling them to take another shot at 200-250 yards. However, after that, the “Shepherd equipped” stalkers come into their own. They can pick off any wounded deer at up to 1000 yards, which saves an awful lot of running about, not to mention time."

I think you may be right baldrick, I don't want to open a can of worms but surely a 1000 yd deer shot isn't really on?

It definitely isn't on, and any British Shot would find that abhorrent. However, Americans are famed for canyon shooting and other long-range exploits. I've watched Youtube footage of guys felling deer at >1,000 yards, sometimes with less than clean results.

Ranging and dialling cannot be beaten as the pre-eminent means of put shots on target at long range.

"When the remaining deer move off, they may well be still within range for the stalkers, enabling them to take another shot at 200-250 yards. However, after that, the “Shepherd equipped” stalkers come into their own. They can pick off any wounded deer at up to 1000 yards, which saves an awful lot of running about, not to mention time."

I think you may be right baldrick, I don't want to open a can of worms but surely a 1000 yd deer shot isn't really on?

im a scottish gamekeeper through the winter somtimes a lot of hinds have to be culled often to longer ranges eg. 200-280 yards.

but on the rare ocasion that a beast is wounded if out of range is re stalked and shot again no stalker in his right mind would atempt a shot at a beast at a thousand yards its ******* insane. its things like that that give us a bad name!

the ocaisonal wounded beast has been shot at 400 yards as a last resort where its not possible to get closer to it.

only last week i had a lend of a clients range finder and mesured a stone at 244 yards and beleve me it looked a lot further than that. i think a lot of people have no real idea how far a thousand yards is on the hill. what idiot shoots a beast a kilometer away.

that statment alone is enough to put me of shepherd scopes.

labrador.

ps. most if not all the scottish stalkers including myself use s&b, swarovski or zeiss. i never herd of shepherd until recently

What with the shepherd scope being out as a rangefinder, I was wondering what are the best mid price range finders?

The finest rangefinder available is the Leica CRF 900 (or the CRF 1200 if you need that extra distance). I have seen them go second-hand on here and the BBS for £250 - £300. And they are worth every penny.