Thunderbolt PCP .22 pellets

jacksdad

Just got the new Thunderbolt PCP .22 pellets, and I'm impressed!

13 grain, as opposed to 10, and absolutely superb in my AA S300. Only thing is the size...9mm long :blink:

I've got a Rowan 6 shot magazine and they won't fit in. But on single shot they really are good. My standard test is a Shandy Bass can full of water at 20m, usually the can flies into the air and is split almost top to bottom on the impact side with a clean exit hole. With these, the can didn't even wobble and just had clean holes both sides. So they are obviously going fast, and they don't deform as they are some zinc alloy, so question.....any good for 40m rabbit shots, or is impact force better than velocity? :hmm:

Accuracy is more important than speed of pellet.

If you miss a vital organ and the pellet justs zips through you will see the bunny run down a hole and die a lingering death, if your pellet is soft it will impart more of it's energy to the target so should be much more effective - but a head shot with lead or tin pellet will have the same outcome.

Accuracy is more important than speed of pellet.

If you miss a vital organ and the pellet justs zips through you will see the bunny run down a hole and die a lingering death, if your pellet is soft it will impart more of it's energy to the target so should be much more effective - but a head shot with lead or tin pellet will have the same outcome.

A brain shot will kill, not necessarily a head shot.

I've been trying JSB RS pellets in my Prosport. Quite a bit lighter than the more common Exacts, but they deform in the same way and are superbly accurate - clean barrel or not ;)

Edited by UKPoacher

Brain shot! Well said, but that's kind of what I meant by missing vital organs.

Even if you hit a vital organ other than the brain you still need the pellet to transfer its energy into the quarry to knock it over. I've shot pigeons, rooks and squirrels with these hard pellets and unless you hit the brain they tend to make off and die elsewhere, whereas an AA Field or JSB Exact causes sufficient trauma to kill outright.

Even if you hit a vital organ other than the brain you still need the pellet to transfer its energy into the quarry to knock it over. I've shot pigeons, rooks and squirrels with these hard pellets and unless you hit the brain they tend to make off and die elsewhere, whereas an AA Field or JSB Exact causes sufficient trauma to kill outright.

Re-read my original post, you're making the same point as me.

By the way, I've never seen anything move more than a yard after a heart or brain shot.

• 2 weeks later...