Anyone on here got a Dunhill/Dupont lighter?

starlight32

I smoke fine cigars and have come to appreciate the tactile nature of a decent lighter.

A several years ago I purchased a secondhand ST Dupont ligne 1 ( bought from Ebay for about £40) after admiring my fathers. A couple of years later when the Ebay one went wrong I found myself needing to choose between sending it away for refurbishment(£80-100), junking it and getting another from EBay(£40?) or replacing it with brand new(200). In the end when i found a new one for sale with a Cigar lighting gas jet (nozzle) i replaced it with brand new.

Essentially given they cost £200+ new and secondhand are worth (ebay) about £40ish in good working order (assuming they are silver or gold plate( I know of solid silver and solid gold cased St Dupont for example) and cost £80 - 100 to refurbish. , I guess the low secondhand price is down to the unpopularity of smoking these days.

If this lighter is a family Heirloom and you intend to use it refurbish it and enjoy it - They are tactile items and can be a great keepsake- I would certainly do so if it came from one of my family members. You will need to do so in the knowledge however that its secondhand value will be less than the cost of refurbishing it !