Crow shooting

sharkboy

Hello All,

Total newbie to forums and shooting. Been out with good shooters to learn safety etc. pigeon, night flighted ducks, pheasant driven and rough walked up shoots. Now striking out on my own, to practice I thought as I have access to crows to start there. I have a pigeon roost and had a go but realise I am more likely to ruin it until my shooting improves, there will be more questions about pigeons soon enough. But right now I would really appreciate some advice about crow shooting, well getting them to come to you constantly. I know this sort of thing takes years and lots of trial and error but some pointer would be greatly received.

I have just taken up shooting both .22LR and shotgun 12g Beretta (P Berretta ?) 680 30" an older gun but immaculate and I like shooting with it for now, 28g 7.5 and 30g 6 similar success with both but see everyone suggests 30g 6 so will stick with them. I was given 14 cradles for dead birds 4 of which come with wing spreader bars, I also have 3 crow decoys. I have tended to get a few rooks with the rimmy to increase my numbers before a decoy session.

1) is there a ratio of walking/feeding decoys to flying (wing spread) ones as I have noticed if I have low numbers in a pattern 6 walking/feeding and 3 flyers it seems to put others off. But have better success with a flyer or two in the pattern than without.

2) is this a number (to few), ratio or placement issue. I attempt to leave an area clear 20-25 yards out and use the walkers at mates to land with, in kind of a L shaped pattern and the flyers as others coming to join them, either on the outer edge of the pattern or at the back like birds flying in low to land.

3) I would like to add a flapper too, but where in relationship to the kill zone and other decoys.

I have read as much as I can and hear what everyone is saying about if its not working change things so this is the reason for these question

After a few clay days and four outings my numbers are slowly climbing.

Well come to PW.. :good: There are quite a few on here that shoot crows regularly .

I use full body mixed with shells around 20 or more, placed any old way no pattern. If a bit of wind will add floaters this work for me.

My main quarry is crows and have done for over 40 + years. atb Terry

Cheers for reply Terry,

When you add floaters, where do you put them within the set up, is it important. Will crows fly over each other, as in one on the ground will one fly directly overhead or off to one side, as I read somewhere pigeons will not do this and this leads to particular placement of anything other than static decoys. You say you put out twenty shell/full bodies, maybe I just need more on the ground?

Cheers for reply Terry,

When you add floaters, where do you put them within the set up, is it important. Will crows fly over each other, as in one on the ground will one fly directly overhead or off to one side, as I read somewhere pigeons will not do this and this leads to particular placement of anything other than static decoys. You say you put out twenty shell/full bodies, maybe I just need more on the ground?

Hi usually facing wind as coming to land so to speak, usually edges of decoys i do move these around as the morning goes,just so some of the crows that have flown passed that pattern looks different to them . They are not hard to decoy just keep your head down at all times,i shoot 90% of my crows sat down on my higher drum with swivel seat that i made. atb Terry

Terry, thank god you said you shoot sat down as I didn't know if that would be suicide to admit. This begs another question, hide building. I have some really old nets they are 5m long but only 1m high so force me to sit as I need to layer them not to be seen and therefore shoot sat down. What do you use for your hide?, I like the look of the ghost net with adjustable poles with my old camo on the outside, so I can peak through it but stand to shoot as I am told this is best in terms of foot work and ability to swing. While it is still new to me I am desperately trying to not learn bad habits.

Hi I use a stealth net with a old plastic type dark green 1 side brownish other side.

I only get up to shoot if crow goes out of my sight , find no problem shooting off my butt :lol:

Use adjustable poles that iv'e had years off The Pigeon Shooter.

If you do a search top right hand corner on this.

Type in these they will show you my hide pics might give you and idea of my set up..

Crows on a new permission today

old eccles 1st day on crows 2014

More blinking crows

More Blinking carrions this morning.

Some pics of last years crow shooting. atb Terry :good:

Welcome! I find crows will nearly always come in for a look at any pattern within range once ur well hidden from them good tip is place ur decoys (I've used pigeon shell decoys with black tights over them on occasions until Iv had a few shot to put out works a treat)off to one side so there lookin at them and not u in ur hide they fly a lot slower than pigeons so tend to notice u easier

Edited by Bunibuster

Terry

I had a wee look at your old posts and photos, 100+ bags, that's pretty darn good I might post a photo once I break 20. I am glad I was able to zoom in close to see the hide better. I too have some of the same green/brown camo, a TA mate gave me some 18"x18" squares. I hope to get a ghost or stealth net to team up with it as some the older woollen ones I was given are heavy and tangle on everything. Do you ever make a roof for your hide? I read some of the comments, especially the one about how close you set up decoys to your hide whites of their eyes kinda stuff. You seem to have great success so I will give it a go and as Bunibuster said set up off to one side. I haven't been out early mornings as being so far north it hardly gets dark for much of the summer and it would be unreasonable to shoot in the wee hours. I have already learnt quite a bit from all the responses and viewing your photos, thanks to everyone for being so generous with the information. Do you carry on crow bashing in the winter snow? Last question for now, I have a fair sized rookery near by, how close to it would you set up in an attempt to decoy them leaving in the mornings. The farmer and his son shot the place to bits when the branchers were on the go but having a recon late evening recently there are still probably 2000 coming home but from all directions and always super high. Low out high home? More recon required and a few early mornings to see what they get up to when leaving.

Problem with crows is they can and will fly in the dark, get to the roost before first light you should get some shooting but as for deeking in winter an old road kill rabbit or deer carcase usualy works with a few deeks round . Ive even shot over a dead fox proped up with a dead rabbit with guts hangin out , shot 43 that outing.

Hope this helps atb ezi.

I've found a dead fox or better still an owl decoy work well in the winter when they are in smaller groups. Seems works better than decoying unless you can find somewhere they are feeding well and easy to pick up and move if things go quiet.

Only time iv'e found a owl decoy any good is in winter time no leaves on trees + lofted in the trees that carrion roost in. atb Terry

Only time iv'e found a owl decoy any good is in winter time no leaves on trees + lofted in the trees that carrion roost in. atb Terry

Yeah, don't seem to work in the summer! You can normaly tell its going to work round here when the statr mobbing the buzzards :)

I stand my owl on a fence post or on a hedge.

Edited by bluesj