Car Haggling

Laird Lugton

Best thing you can do is get the salesman on your side.

If you go in with a load of attitude your likely that the salesman will dig his heals in and you'll struggle to get owt off.

Show a good interest in which ever motor your looking at before the typical 'Best price for cash' line etc. We see loads of people that just enjoy spending time bartering with absolutely no intention of purchasing who are intent on just wasting your time.

And be realistic with how the motor is priced and what you expect to get knocked off.

If it's used stock, immaculate, low miles, FSH, one owner and priced competitively, why should the dealer knock anything off when such stock is hard to come by??

Try here : http://www.coast2coastcars.co.uk/

They deal with main agents, have a VERY good reputation. Basically, they introduce you to the dealer, and all your payments go direct to the dealership.

They are showing about 6-7% on Discovery, and close to 10% on Shogun.

EDIT : I used their price when negotiating on a new BMW Z4 a while back. They were using a London based dealer at the time, my local BMW dealer came within £150 of their price (after initially being £1.5k away), so decided to save myself the trip and buy it more locally.

Edited by robbiep

My neighbour has just ordered a BMW from them Robbie, I think it was Berry at Heathrow? Saved a massive 25% off list on a 335d X-drive saloon.

A303, well the problem I have is that using these discounts I can get the car brand new for less than they want for a second hand one. I am in no rush so will order new from the BASC dealer if they won't come down by a large margin. Time wasting I might be but as I say I am in no rush!! To me their second hand stock is very over priced.

My neighbour has just ordered a BMW from them Robbie, I think it was Berry at Heathrow? Saved a massive 25% off list on a 335d X-drive saloon.

A303, well the problem I have is that using these discounts I can get the car brand new for less than they want for a second hand one. I am in no rush so will order new from the BASC dealer if they won't come down by a large margin. Time wasting I might be but as I say I am in no rush!! To me their second hand stock is very over priced.

Yes, I believe it is Berry. We've ended up with about a 23% discount by using the C2C price as a stick to bring our local dealer down

I have just tried the BASC system for a new Disco SE Tech and got nowhere.

I tried my local dealer and all up spec and on the road was over 52k

I tried another Rover dealer 50 miles away and initially, with my trade in, he asked for another 20k.

I told him no way and we finished the conversation.

I gave him a few weeks and got in touch again and this time asked for a written (e Mail) quotation explaining the 20k.

Lo and behold when I got my e mail I was on the 'phone as quick as I could before he changed his mind.

I got my Disco SE Tech, with tow bar, walnut interior panels, full size spare wheel, mettalic paint and mats, three years free servicing, taxed and ready to drive away for 48k.

The down side was/is that it isn't available until the end of this month but my local dealer couldn't get one until July or August.

The other thing as well was that I was going to pay the balance due after my trade in but was offered a finance plan that lets me pay just under £100 a month for 11 months and then pay the balance off at the 12 month period.

This entitles me to a 1k deposit contribution from Landrover and the interest over twelve months works out at £75.

I was/am more than happy with that deal and can't wait until until 27th March.

Edited by EMcC

• 3 weeks later...

Your opening of wanting money of a new Discovery made me chuckle.

As others have said no chance, but please try and report back how the salesman looked at you like you just trampled dog muck in, and asked can I sleep with your wife.

Never met a bunch like them, only time a deal is on the cards is second hand or on models they can't sell.

You should get a good deal on a Shogun as not as desirable.

Just resurrecting this one with an update. Managed to get a total of 12% off a new Disco and have a build date in June. Discounts can be had! Edited by Laird Lugton

I have just tried the BASC system for a new Disco SE Tech and got nowhere.

I tried my local dealer and all up spec and on the road was over 52k

I tried another Rover dealer 50 miles away and initially, with my trade in, he asked for another 20k.

I told him no way and we finished the conversation.

I gave him a few weeks and got in touch again and this time asked for a written (e Mail) quotation explaining the 20k.

Lo and behold when I got my e mail I was on the 'phone as quick as I could before he changed his mind.

I got my Disco SE Tech, with tow bar, walnut interior panels, full size spare wheel, mettalic paint and mats, three years free servicing, taxed and ready to drive away for 48k.

The down side was/is that it isn't available until the end of this month but my local dealer couldn't get one until July or August.

The other thing as well was that I was going to pay the balance due after my trade in but was offered a finance plan that lets me pay just under £100 a month for 11 months and then pay the balance off at the 12 month period.

This entitles me to a 1k deposit contribution from Landrover and the interest over twelve months works out at £75.

I was/am more than happy with that deal and can't wait until until 27th March.

Are you enjoying your Disco?

Absolutely.

It arrived a few days earlier than expected and has now done nearly 2k and the boot is beginning to smell like a mobile dog kennel.
I have always had Discos but before Christmas I had a brain f**t and decided to go a bit more frugal and bought the 'Vulva'

What a car, just right for boy racers or young folk. Just hover your foot over the accelerator and before you know it you are doing over the legal limit.

Then my back started to play up but I said nothing, then my wife started getting back ache. in the end we put it down purely to getting in and out so it had to go.

Now with the Disco we are back to our normal life style and can't see us ever changing.

Edited by EMcC

HO Ho ! you are in trouble ;-)

Once you own a Disco you won't want anything else.

The first year is always the most expensive as the tax is top of the shot but not so much the following year and the mileage isn't so hot either.

As you get used to the vehicle you tend to change your driving style too which will improve mpg.

We've just been down to Somerset for the day and has probably cost us just under quarter of a tank of fuel but the comfort was worth at least half a tank :-)