refusing to retrieve

crichbish

My 5 year old spaniel has never been particularly keen on retrieving warm game but has always done what was needed, he has always been keen to retrieve dummy's with and without feathers or fur attached. Tonight I managed my first duck of the season and he refused to retrieve it, he found it and had a good sniff but no amount of encouragement or praise could persuade him to retrieve it. Any advice really appreciated as if he won't retrieve I can't shoot.

Can't explain it as we can't see inside the dog's mind. But go back to basics and run through the training program from bare dummies to partridge rewarding the dog with praise whenever he gets it right and going back a step if things don't go as planned. Hopefully it will just be an anomaly and a bit of refresher training will get things going again.

One of the mistakes people make right from the start is actually taking things from the dogs mouth as soon as it presents. With a puppy pick it up and stroke it and encourage while still holding the retrieve article, put the pup back down let it run around, do the same thing again, put it back down, third time take hold the retrieve article and when the pup lets go take the article, give the leave command and praise.

With an older dog try swapping the retrieve for another article so there is some motivation to retrieve, carry a tennis ball in your pocket, when the dog retireves take the article and swap it for the ball. sometimes dogs are lazy retrievers just because they think you have ruined their fun.

Ian

He has always been reluctant with anything feathered, but has in previous seasons retrieved pheasant, teal, wigeon, mallard and pintail, he has always had a tendancy to have a good sniff and look to me as if to say "do I have to". He is less reluctant with cold game, fine with dummy's and enjoys a tennis ball. I think part of the problem is he doesn't have enough opportunity to pick up warm game, especially duck.

One way to get the dog to retrieve is to send the dog for a known retrieve - a warm bird you have thrown into cover without the dog seeing you do it. Send the dog and when he gets to it and doesn't immediately pick it, walk away briskly. Don't say a word, just turn your back and walk away. I'll bet a quid to a penny that the dog will pick the bird and run back to you. If he does, make a big fuss of him, take the bird from him with the appropriate command and then chuck something that he likes to retrieve as a reward. Once he's had chance to settle, repeat the exercise. He'll soon get the idea that he needs to retrieve the game to get a reward.