lofting decoys breaking...

to be honest, i spent ages messing around with one trying to drill it out into a nice neat hole, it was difficult given the shape of the bottom of the decoy and the size of hole you would need, in the end, i did the majority of them by snipping the protuding bit from the bottom of the decoy, this left me with a reasonably neat hole (in roughly the right shape) in about 60 seconds a piece. it was then very easy to hold it in exactly the right place with duck tape whilst i injected the expanding foam into the main body through a smaller hole drilled (where the backside would be on the decoy), once sanded and painted it looks pretty good, and really didnt take me much time - i spent more time thinking about it than it actually took!

• 9 months later...

Been reading this with interest, I use a 10 metre fishing pole with the top section removed as it's way too thin. I am making some hooks tomorrow, 8 mm steel bar, M12 threaded bar to go in the deek, and some 15mm diameter tube for the counterweights. Was interested to see lead pellets being used as ballast, wonder if anyone else has ideas for ballast?

I reckon I should get about 10 hooks made for approximately £13.00, this doesn't cover paint. Will post piccies when done, with dimensions if anyones interested?

Went into wickes to buy a funnel and was told " we dont stock them"....

• 2 years later...

Another way of lofting your deeks is to use a fishing rod, (the first part that holds the fishing reel) Plant the fishing rod into the ground and attach the fishing reel, thread the fishing line through the eyes and attach to a ¾oz weight and using a good catapult fire the weight and line over the branch you what to put your deek, (remember to take the bale arm off :rolleyes: ) find your lead weight and remove it and tie on your deek through the little eye on the back of the deek, then reel the deekinto position and the jobs a good en. If you what put more than one up repeat the process.