Shotgun range finder

jpw99

I remember long ago a range finder on the market being offered to rabbit shooters. Is there such an invention in existence to attach to the gun for pigeons etc? I know rabbit shooting is a different kettle of fish and no i havn't started on the newcastle yet, this is a genuine innocent enquiry given in good faith :lol:

Cheers

Jim the geordie

PS yes i know i ask some wierd ones but someone has to do it :lol::lol::lol: :o

I have never heard of a range finder for shotguns (even in the USA), but that doesn't mean there ain't one out there somewhere.

I could imagine the practical difficulties, of having anything fitted to the gun.

When I set out my decoys, I always place a stick, or two at 35 good paces from the hide, just to remind me.

Now, I'm not suggesting my size 10's are range finders, but you get the idea. :lol:

Thanks lads. I knew i was clutching at straws on this one, but at least i have some answers. An answer of no is a lot better than no answer if you know what i mean :lol::lol: Seriously i always do the pacing method but everytime i get back to base those deeks always look too close. Thanks for not giving me a load of stick on this one :lol: My reason for the question is another story (which i may post separately) but the bottom line of it was that i shot this pigeon on the the deck not once but twice and as i went to collect it i was saddened to find that i still had not caused it to expire and had to finish it off by hand, something i hate having to do. You just have to respect these gutsy little creatures - i was almost tempted to bury it just out of respect - anyway my aim is to despatch on the first attempt and not the second or third, its just not on for me :o .

Just as a point of interest this was my first use of felt wads which i had been advised to start using via a previous discussion on a post started by hawkeye. Not only that but i got a hell of an unexpected kick as well which i hadn't got previously using the plas wad :< :< Never mind i suppose i deserved the double kick for not doing the job properly in the fist place.

Cheers

Jim the geordie

I use felt wads all the time, with 30g cartridges. If you shoot them on the ground you must sit the bird on top of the bead or most of the shot may plough into the ground, resulting in wounded birds.

Holding the shotgun like a rifle can result in more felt recoil.

Edited by invector

I use felt wads all the time, with 30g cartridges.  If you shoot them on the ground you must sit the bird on top of the bead or most of the shot may plough into the ground, resulting in wounded birds.

Holding the shotgun like a rifle can result in more felt recoil.

Thanks for that Invector - I aim for the feet and expect the barrel to jump up and thereby hit the target square on the body.

Could you expand on your method of holding a shotgun. I try and hold my gun tight on the shoulder and i would like to know what the alternate is.

Cheers

Jim

"I try and hold my gun tight on the shoulder and i would like to know what the alternate is."

aha, that could be your problem, holding the gun too tight will impart more shock straight into you. you want it comfortable but not too relaxed. otherwise itl jump about when you fire. holding it too tightly can often lead too you pulling shots, making you miss over the top as well. try it, hope it helps! :lol:

"I try and hold my gun tight on the shoulder and i would like to know what the alternate is."

aha, that could be your problem, holding the gun too tight will impart more shock straight into you. you want it comfortable but not too relaxed. otherwise itl jump about when you fire. holding it too tightly can often lead too you pulling shots, making you miss over the top as well. try it, hope it helps! :(

Thanks for that Paulos :thumbs: Mind you if i try your method and break my shoulder - i know wher you live :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Cheers

Jim